Cozen

--i'm so sorry for disappearing on you guys! i love y'all so much!💖💖--

A fitting set up.

Very on brand for the hero you knew. Waking up from an afternoon nap, you saw a text from him waiting for you. Yagi asked if you were busy and if, by chance, you wanted to grab a bite with him. Of course you did. Rolling out of bed, you went to freshen up and head out the door.

You were expecting Yagi to already be at Bloom by the time you arrived, but he was nowhere in sight. Shooting him a quick text, you found a good spot for the two of you. Time continued to tick on and with a late reply

Running a bit behind.

You sat back and enjoyed the tea you ordered for yourself. Running a bit behind turned into-

Do you mind if someone joins us?

You didn't mind and you replied to let him know. Not two minutes later did the seat across from you fill. Its occupant making themselves comfortable, setting their side bag in their lap as they began to dig through it. Feel like I should've seen this coming. Yagi left the house that morning dressed for heroics, obviously he wasn't coming to the café. The being said, you weren't entirely stood up.

"Good afternoon, Nakamura." You spoke softly. "Good afternoon." On the table's surface, All Might's executive assistant, as he called himself, set a matte black folder. Sliding it across by the pads of his fingers, it stopped just a few inches away from you. "For you." He offered. You looked over it's cover, a familiar M circled in laurel imprinted on its front. 

"Signatures and initials start on the last three pages." Nakamura fished out a pen from his bag. A pale, slender hand extending it to you. "Good to know." You took hold of the pen, heavy and cold, and opened the folder. Your key card sat atop a thick contract. I forgot how pretty that was. You set it to the side and began to read the job offer. "How are you this lovely afternoon?" You asked, reading over the first page.

"I'm well, thank you for asking. You're going to read-?"

"Every word." You answered Nakamura before he could finish. "I suppose," He pushed up his glasses," That's to be expected of someone he talks about so highly."

"He talks about me?" You raised a brow, eyes still on the contract as you turned to the next page. You could already tell it was going to be long and drawn out, over explaining basic job duties and expectations. "Like you could do no wrong." Nakamura adjusted himself in the seat, leaning forward to clasp both hands together on the table. That's not a good sign.

"That's cute." You finished the current page, moving to the next as he cleared his throat. "I do have a question for you." Called it. You hadn't looked up, your main focus on the fine print. "Ah, this must be the rest of the interview." You nodded, making sure he took you as engaged in his query. "What do you mean by that?" You heard him shift just the slightest in his reply. 

Perhaps you struck a nerve? "Nothing to offend you, I apologize if it came off that way. I just thought the interview process would be a bit more thorough." You attempted to smooth it over. "You mean you thought I'd sit each of you down and ask why you wanted the job?" He gave a sly look. "Ask about your dreams and ambitions for Might Towers? Your long term goals?"

"Not those questions in particular, but along those lines, yes." You nodded once more, he let out an almost condescending chuckle. "Tell me, don't you think it's a waste of time to ask an internal hire those questions?"

"I see where you're going with this." You moved to the next page, hiding your excitement at the salary and projected raises. "Whatever they said the first time sufficed to get them in. If I want to know about work ethic, it's already at my fingertips. Their numbers won't lie." The executive assistant continued.

"This is true." You agreed.

"Which brings us back to you."

"Little ol' me?"

"Yes, you. I read over your resume." Not the first, but okay. "And I must know what possessed you to take a position you were overqualified for." His head tilted, blatantly analyzing you and your reaction to his desired topic. "I needed something fast and the claims department was in dire need of help." You answered simply.

"I'm sure there were other agencies, businesses that would have taken you without a second thought."

"I agree, but the towers contacted me first."

"I can't help but feel as though you're downplaying yourself." Nakamura continued to push.

"Downplaying myself." You mouthed 'wow', eyes widening as you neared that first initialing space. "That, or hiding something." I came here for lunch, not an interrogation. "I'm sure that if I was, you would've seen it already, hm?" You pursed your lips, twisting the pen open and marking in your initials on each of the provided spaces that lined the last pages of the contract.

"I would've seen it if I knew where to look." He said as you moved on to your final signature, the bold line staring back at you while you moved the pen gracefully over it, your name curled and just as bold as the line it sat on. "That's a nice sweater, Nakamura. I think I'll get myself one." You looked over the gray turtleneck he wore. "Hm, I see why he likes you." Snapping the folder closed, Nakamura slid it back across the table, filing it away in his side bag. 

He stood, his gaze expecting you to do the same. "Judging by your tone, I'm not sure if I should be flattered." You responded as you got up from your seat. "That's not my problem, dear." Um ow. "Now," Nakamura's hands clasped together once more at his front, facing you fully. "Let's make you the perfect assistant. "Second to you, of course." You added.

"That goes without saying."

You assumed, a mistake on your part, that when Nakamura said he'd be molding you into the 'perfect assistant' that meant you'd jump right into shadowing. The good stuff. When you'd stay on his heels as he spoke seemingly without stopping to breathe. Your thumbs going numb from taking endless notes on your phone.

It was nothing like you expected. You went shopping...fucking shopping.

You rubbed your temples, eyeing all the shopping bags on your bed. When you said you already had business clothes "Not the right ones." was the reply. Several stores later, your new wardrobe was filled with nothing but work attire. At least your work phone was secured. Against Nakamura's judgment, you picked the touch screen, flip phone.

"Unprofessional." He sucked his teeth at your decision. "It's adorable." You grinned. "I'll just get a neutral case."

You puffed, snatching up the bags closest to you and toting them to the closet. Slowly but surely you filled the empty space. Thankful for the unique space saving design of the shelves, you'd have otherwise been out of room with all you brought back home. You took a step back, making sure you were content with the arrangement of your clothes when something was caught dancing in your peripheral.

Haven't worn you in a while. You turned, pulling the red coat down. Hasn't really been cold enough since then has it? You bit back a frown, placing the coat back and leaving the closet you moved to find your phone. It was hidden amongst the empty bags you tossed as you made progress through your haul. You checked for some form of contact from your new boss. Nothing. He hadn't responded in hours. Granted, you probably gave the man a heart attack with your

We need to talk when you get home.

message. You did it on purpose. Albeit fucked up, you smacked send anyway. A late dinner rolled around and still no reply. You sat at the kitchen's island as you ate the curry you made yourself...and him. You glanced at the time as it neared midnight. A spoonful of your food was shoveled into your mouth while in the other hand you typed away.

Are you okay?

You found yourself checking again while crawling into bed. Detesting the knot forming in your stomach when you saw there was still nothing.

Goodnight, Yoshi.