Retrograde

--2--

"Aaaaaand here." You pointed over the documents Faust held, sitting in his hospital bed. He initialed it quickly. "How many more of these do I have to sign?"

"Uh, a lot." You turned to the next page, leaning forward from the chair you pulled in close to the bedside. "This is ridiculous." They scoffed, pinching at the pages left to go over. "No, what's ridiculous is you ripping off your primary arm in front of your nurse and by proxy having her put on leave." You frowned.

"I told them it's faster for it to grow back than heal."

"Okay, but still." You pointed again and again in the empty spaces along the pages, watching him sign with one of his good hands.

"Three days to grow back or six weeks to heal. A-"

"Uh huh, sign here, last one...for now." You flipped through the document, showing him the last place to be signed.

"What do you mean by that?"

You snapped the folder shut. "By that, I mean I'm gonna see what strings I can pull to keep you out of trouble for that stunt." You stuffed the folder away in your side bag, pulling out an envelope. "You want this now or...?" You waved it lightly. "What is it?" Akria snatched it from you. "A check." You answered plainly. "A check? Government too scared to direct deposit my out of town expenses now?" He asked. "Ah, no." You puffed. "That's for your heroics within a minimum diameter of Might Towers."

"Huh?!"

"You'd be surprised how many heroes just...don't patrol that area because they assume it'd be handled by one or less." You watched them open the envelope and peek in. "What the fuuuck." Their eyes went wide. "Yeah you should've seen Liu Wei's face this morning." You chucked.

"Speaking of." Akira set the envelope down on the table next to his bed. "How are things?"

"Liu Wei is doing good." You nodded. "His scratches have healed really well, they probably won't scar."

"I meant you."

"Oh," You raised your brows and looked elsewhere while you thought. "I'm okay, not really sore anymore." You shrugged.

"Anything else?"

"I have a lot of followers on my socials now, a few fan cams, a couple of  'this you?'s from the people back home,  it's pretty alright I guess."

"So?" Akira leaned forward, coaxing you to continue.

"Oh, no, nothing's coming of it."

"Bullshit."

"I'm being serious." You said honestly. "No talk of getting you official or suited at all?" They lifted a brow. "There's barely any talking about anything." You laid your head on the bedside on your folded arms. "I did not sign up to listen to your relationship problems."

"Okay, but I don't really have anyone else to vent to right now so I need you to shut the fuck up and listen."

"Spicy."

"Like I was saying, we haven't really been talking since then. Like, I'll try to strike up a conversation but he's so brusque."

"He's actually mad at you?"

"He's not mad, I know he's not. He's...upset? I don't know. Well, I know I made it worse a few days ago."

"How'd you manage that?" Akira rested a hand on your head. 

"I, um," You let out a long winded sigh. "There was this one time, when he put an offer on the table. He's like 'Hey, not saying you have to but it'd be cool if you married me el oh el.' and I'm like 'Yeah, sure, okay, pal. Whatever you say, buckaroo.' Y'know? A little jokey joke. So I walked up to his room door, and I peep in, and I don't remember what he's doing but he's sitting on his bed facing away from me. I ask him if I can take him up on the offer. He's like 'Which one?' so I tell him the one on the table and he takes a little while to look at me. Like he stopped what he was doing completely, to process the dumb shit that just came out of my mouth. And I know it's dumb, because when he finally gets around to looking at me, he tells me I need to give him space. So judging from that reaction it-"