Masticate

Well, I'll be damned. You kept your comments to yourself, taking a seat in the dining area. Seating charts for galas had always fascinated you, unsure what the purpose of forcing adults into these situations was or if there was some ulterior motive behind it all. What you did know, however, is that somewhere someone had to be cackling into the night. Your plus one seat was next to Might, you expected that. On the other side of you, Faust. Cool. For now. Across from you was HotShot and his recent date. He was a lot more...basic looking in person. Like a default sim. Next to them, Endeavor and his wife.

Civil small talk was made, as far as the word civil could go at that table. Occasional glances from Faust that said everything without saying anything had you fighting for your life, biting your tongue trying not to laugh.

You tried distracting yourself from his judgmental looks by pulling out your work phone and sifting through emails. Your hands in your lap and out of view from the majority of the table. Faust's hand shooting over at random to shut your phone, the screen clamping down on your thumbs. "Dick." You hissed just loud enough for him to hear. "Bitch." He rebutted.

"I'll fight you."

"You won't. Pussy."

"Fuck you."

Snapping your phone closed, you put it away and tried to glide into the conversation casually. It didn't work, the topic of prime real estate for agency branches not peeking your interest. I need real estate for this karaoke bar... speaking of. The live music caught your attention, they were playing classy covers. I wonder if anyone else has noticed. You shook your head inwardly, deciding the answer would be no, just so you'd have this one thing....Smokin' out the windoooow.

Your face must have told on you, Might set a hand on yours, subtly, under the table snatching you back to the conversation at hand. The dying conversation. At least the food is here. You tried not to look so eager while staff carted in one of the many courses of the menu for the night. Saucers were being sat down, your attention slipping until

"Yes!" It was Endeavor's wife, her hands clasped together while she smiled. "We're actually trying for another baby!" She set a hand on his arm, leaning in, her white hair in the strongest contrast against his low shaven, red beard.

"This bitch." Faust muttered. Got me payin' her rent, payin' for trips- "Not you talking about raw dogging over the food." He shot much louder, your hand slapped against your face to muffle your laugh. "Excuse me?" Endeavor sat forward. You would've stopped laughing for an 'uh oh', but Toshi ruined it trying to disguise his laugh with a cough. 

"I was hoping something good would happen." HotShot took up his glass of water, sipping. Might's head turned into his elbow as he 'coughed', his eyes cut to you. A mistake on his part, only to see you already looking at him with eyes brimmed with tears and shoulders shaking violently from the cackle building in your chest, and he coughed harder.

Faust sat forward, excited, with hands pressed flat against the table cloth. "I want to know why you are talking about raw dogging over the food-" His saucer was set in front of him. An exaggerated sigh escaped his throat and arms thrown up and landing in a thud on the table in pure irritation at the off-white soup. One of the staff, all of whom were unfazed by the conversation, introduced the course as Tuscan white bean and roasted garlic soup. 

"Enjoy."

"I can't." Faust pinched their brow. "I think you're being dramatic." The hottieshottie spoke up. "Who even are you?" Their eyes narrowed at her. "Hey, now." You tried to pause your laughing and set a hand on his forearm. "Simmer down." ABEG.

"He's being too much, that was supposed to be good news. It is good news." She gestured with her hand. "You know? With the population curve and the birthing incentives. And just so you know, I am-"

Faust put a hand up, cutting her off. "That was a rhetorical question. Do you know what those are?" You damn near choked. "Damn, that's crazy." HotShot said over his drink. Unhinged behavior. Faust continued. "I promise the public doesn't care about the wealthy popping out crotch goblins-"

"Could you all please forgive my friend." You interrupted. "His heat lamp is broken and he's been feeling a bit temperamental." Faust sucked his teeth and rolled his eyes. "Good job, damage control. My heat lamp is fine. I don't have a straw."

"A straw?" Might turned, confused, looking over your head at Faust. "I understand." You nodded. "You should still bring it down a few notches."

"What do you need a straw for? Scared you'll spill your wine?" Endeavor chimed, expression smug. "How about a kiddie cup? We might have one close by...that's if you're not too disgusted with what we do in our spare time."

Faust reached behind his ear, hooking the loop of his mask with his finger. "I'd be more than happy to eat as I do at home." He pulled the mask off, folding it neatly and setting it on the table. "However, I have some decorum." A silence settled over the table. Jagged and ill-fitted, sharpened spires the color of faded heliodor sat at the forefront of his face. Smaller teeth appeared sporadically along the top and bottom of his gums, a permanent smile that ended a little past his cheekbones. He used to get so annoyed when you called him Mileena, but you couldn't help it. 'It's so cool though! You're so cool! And she's hot too?!'

"How'd you get that scar?" You broke the silence that was becoming damn near disrespectful, motioning over your own face in perspective of his. One that cut through his cheek. "This?" Their fingertips brushed over the scar. "Just a run in with a villain." He shrugged. "Looks like they got you good." You snickered. "No, he thought he did." Faust shook their head. "What do you mean?" Your brow knitted.

"I bit them." He laughed. "Faust!" Your jaw dropped, a chuckle creeping out. "Oh, so they can talk about shooting the club up," Faust pointed an accusatory hand at the flame hero and his wife. "but when I bite someone I'm the bad guy. Okay." BRUH. "Those two things are mutually exclusive!?" You squinted.

"They're not."

"How?!"

"I wanna hear this." HotShot sat forward.

"Don't encourage him." You glanced at the hero across the table. "I don't need encouragement, I was going to explain regardless." Faust assured you your request would be ignored. Might cleared his throat. "Faust, I'll have someone bring you a straw."

"You don't have to," Faust shook his head. "My appetite was spoiled, at least for now. I can only hope our private lives will stay private for the rest of the evening."