Phok

Bare feet slapping against the floor as you ran almost full speed to the sound of the front door opening. "Wh-" Yagi couldn't even finish his sentence as you came and went, snatching the take out from his hand. Leaping over the one step he'd made out of the genkan, you bolted into the kitchen. "Thank yooooou!" You called behind. "Bend that front knee a little more next time, or you'll-"

Your fingers fiddled with the knot in the plastic bag holding your food captive. "Or I'll what?" You replied. No answer. You stopped what you were doing, rounding out of the kitchen to see the hero in the living area. "Toshi?"

"Did you?" He pointed at one of the seats. "Yeah." You nodded slowly, eyes quickly glancing over your work. "I thought it'd look nice to open the space. It's more inviting now." You swung your arms as you spoke. "If you don't like, I can put everything back."

"No, no. I like it."

"You do?" You rocked on your heels, watching him nod. "I did more, if you want to go look around."

"What else?" He asked. "Go see." You motioned with your hand, giving a grin that bit your bottom lip. What? That gives me about five minutes to either be mentally prepared for that conversation or play stupid? Welp. You mentally screeched watching him turn the corner. Well, not before taking one last glance at you over his shoulder.

Oh yeah, I'm playing stupid.

You stood silently. Well, almost silently, if you weren't devouring the pho like you hadn't eaten in weeks, maybe it would've been silent.

"Peach." That doesn't sound good. You noted the tone in your roommate's voice as he appeared from the hall. "Toshi?" You answered, trying to put together the perfect noodle, to meat, to veggie ratio between your utensils. "Honeydew." He came again. That doesn't sound good at all. You could see him in your peripheral. Leaning against the bar with arms crossed tightly on its surface. "Sugarplum?" Brows lifted as you continued to eat after your reply, trying to ease the tension. "That-" He shook a finger at you. "That's a good one."

"Yeah?" You tapped your temple. "Right off the top."

"Mhm. Is there anything you want to tell me?" He was straight to the point, you kept your eyes on your takeout container. "Mmm no, not that I can think of." Oh shit oh fuck.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." Shit. This pho was phoking amazing and I forgot to get my lines together.

"You can't think of anything at all?" He continued to apply pressure. You thought back to your mother asking if he would still be confrontational. The answer was yes. But as your eyes locked on to a drop of oil that swirled with the convection currents, you put getting out of your current position at the forefront. 

Gaslight him. HAAAAAAAH no, that's too mean....Unless- "No, Toshi, there's nothing I can think of that I need to tell you right now."

"Look at me please." What it was that he was feeling, whatever amalgamation stirred in him, it was thick and in the air. For a moment you felt bad. Not that you already hadn't for stumbling upon that tiny velvet box. Your toes gripped the cold tiles of the kitchen floor in nervousness, a comforting feeling compared to the heat that was rising in your gut that wasn't from your dinner.

Dammit! Game face, bitch. Conceal, don't feel. Don't let them know. You chewed and swallowed what you had in your mouth, eyes eventually leaving the to-go container and met his.

You felt your brow twinge just barely. He was so much better at this from what you knew. So much better at keeping that wall up, but there were some bricks missing this time. A few cracks in the cement. Locked for a while, too long, you continued to eat. "You, uh, you're not very good at this when you're upset." You broke the ice.

"What do you mean?" Yagi leaned forward.

Just barely out of view, you saw the muscles of his arm tucked away flex as if holding something. Oh, he's got it. Well, time to take a plunge. "You look sad. Very sad...you want some head?"

Yagi's eyes narrowed. "I'd rather make you my personal, little, twinkie."

HIS WHAT- 

You damn near choked on your food, turning away to cough furiously into your elbow. "Are you alright?" He called from behind you, watching as you struggled to breathe. "Do you want something to drink? Some water with a side of don't ever think it's that easy to distract me again?" Your lips curled down as much as they could at the cockiness of his voice.

"Toshi, please." You got out in a raspy exhale. "Please what? You'll have to speak up, Peach."

"Why are you like this?" You came back up, holding your side with one hand and gripping the surface of the kitchen island with the other. "You started this." Yagi corrected.

Can't say I didn't try. You took a deep inhale, attempting to soothe your aching esophagus. Not aching from suc- "I went to one of your orphanages today. I flashed my key card and told them I was new and just checking in."

"And?"

And you took that bait. I'm NoT tHaT eAsY tO dIsTrAcT. "And I think that it's very nice of you to have those and the learning programs that come thereafter." So he either has convinced himself  I didn't find it and I think the visit is what he's confronting me on; or he had no idea I went and and now he doesn't think I found it? I don't know.  Ignorance is bliss. You affirmed it internally, now concerned on the fact that you may or may not have shot a noodle out of your nose during your coughing fit. It felt like it, and you needed to find it.

He hummed in reply, nodding slowly as he did so. "Why isn't it publicized more....that you-" you motioned with your hand, waiting for him to pick up what you were putting down. "It doesn't need to be. I don't want someone hurting children for my attention. That's fucked." Was he always this blunt and crude? "You could've called me, I would have shown you around." He continued.

"You've been kinda busy." You shrugged. "Figured I'd deal with the consequences later. Didn't think you'd approach it like this though."

"Like what?"

"Like...sad? I dunno, I didn't think it would've made you upset." You paused for dramatics. "I overstepped boundaries and I'll run more things by you from now on, is that alright?"

"That's be amazing. Just peachy." His lips pursed into a smile, eyes still narrowed.

"Ha ha ha ha." You forced a smile. "Ha ha, you're so funny. Ha." Maybe I should hide that flash drive, just in case.