Assay

"What's on your mind?" Cherry asked, eating her third meal of the night. You eyed her half empty take out box as you sat across from her in a booth at work. The pizza she was craving came from a restaurant that refused to deliver orders so late due to the kill-happy freak on the loose. So you took on the mission of food delivery once more.

"You sure you're not having twins?" She shrugged, mouth half stuffed. "Maybe I am, but what's wrong." You shook your head. "Nothing's wrong." You rubbed your eyes. "It's good news actually."

"I think you've built enough suspense, can you just tell me?" She looked at you waiting for you to spill it. You sighed. "He wants me to come work for him."

"Who? Wait!" She leaned in, whispering. "All Might?"

"Yeah." You nodded. "That's great news! Go for it!" She clapped. "Weren't you the one that said I was better off without the desk job?" You raised an eyebrow. "Well, yeah, but you've been looking right?" She cocked her head. "Yeah-"

"Alright then take it! Plus, you get to see him even more, right?"

You nodded. "I'd be his PA."

"Damn, you'd see him a lot." Cherry read over your expression. "Doesn't that not...do you not want to?"

"Oh no, I'd love to. I just...I said it felt like cheating if he just gave me the job."

"Cheating? This is real life not one of those anime. You get up via connections." Cherry scolded. "Well I've gotta do an interview with his current PA now so..." you sighed. "Then you go in there and you grab that bull by the horns." She puffed. "You should've just taken it to be honest."

"You aren't the only one that feels that way."

That day came so much faster than expected. Fuck these are heavy. You rented heavier weights for your ankles at the gym, pushing harder than usual up the inclined treadmill. Using the burn to distract you from the oncoming who knows what.

'New message from All Might.'

Played in your ears, with two taps and a command your phone read them aloud for you. "Are you ready?" Your pace slowed as you brought the treadmill back down to its original position parallel to the floor. "Ready as I'll ever be." You replied.

You got cleaned up and ready to go. The longer you waited the more excruciating being patient became. You'd never met Might's PA, you'd never even seen him before, and now you were going to see if you lived up to his expectations.

Here goes nothin'. You smoothed out what little frays you had in your rear-view mirror and hopped out of your car, heading towards the towers. A small cluster of people were waiting near the entrance. You pulled out your phone shooting Might a text.

Group interview?

It's more time efficient for him

Okie dokie

Reaching the group you bowed lightly and introduced yourself, smiling and nodding as they did the same. They all seem to fit an archetype here. You noted the suits and skirts, they looked like they'd already worked in an assistant position before.. And here I am, in leggings and princess ruffles.

"Shall we get started?" A calm but firm voice caught your attention. Hello, damn. You bowed lightly, smiling internally. He's got Sakamoto energy. Tall and slim, with glasses that sat high on the bridge of his nose. His suit as jet black as his combed over hair. Once again, here I am in princess ruffles...fuck it.

He introduced himself as Nakamura, the executive assistant, and the one who would be conducting the interview. He instructed that the group follow him inside. You did so, listening as he gave a basic synopsis of the work you'd be doing as you moved through the lobby. Nothing you hadn't expected, you took notes on your phone as you entered a conference room. Nakamura stood at the head of the table. "Please choose a seat." He motioned towards the empty chairs. "Leave at least one space between each of you."

You claimed a spot to his right, near the end of the table. "I'd like you each to formally introduce yourselves, starting here." He pointed to the woman closest to him on his left. As each person introduced themselves he sat a thick stack of papers on the table in front of them. 

You noticed that everyone except you was an internal applicant as they said the current floor and job title they held. Well....shit. And then it was your turn. Nakamura towered at least six inches over you, waiting. You bowed and stated your name. "I previously worked on floor four, as a claims adjuster. I was recommended by someone internally."

He said nothing, not that you were expecting him to, and set down the stack of paperwork in front of you. Damn he is intimidating....I like him. Quietly, you let out a sigh of relief as he moved on. "You may be seated." Nakamura took his seat at the head, and explained that what was handed to you was a schedule. "Make it work."

You and the other room's inhabitants looked at each other for a moment. "You're being timed." He said simply, pulling out a tablet and beginning to work himself. Alrighty then. You flipped through the pages, scanning over the items and allotted times attached to them. You reached for one of the available pens on the conference table and started to mark away.

You'd gotten half way through when you heard "Thank you, you may leave." Your head snapped up, two applicants already finished and leaving. That's....don't worry about it. Keep going.

Once finishing, you flipped through, making sure everything was in order. A lot of the stuff in here I can do, or can be done via email or teleconference. Hope he doesn't mind me writing that in. You stood and handed your work over to Nakamura. "Thank you for your time, you may leave." He said, setting it down on the ever growing stack. "Thank you." You bowed lightly and exited.

You stared at your phone while it vibrated in your hand. It was an unknown caller, calling you for the third time as you stood outside Might Towers. It's gotta be important. They won't leave a message. Bill collectors leave messages.

"Hello?" You answered. "Finally. What have you been doing?" A male said on the other end. "First of all, who is this?" You huffed. "Oh! Sorry about that. It's me, Suzuki."

You gave a sigh of relief. "Hey, Suzuzu. Didn't Cherry tell you I had an interview today? And how'd you get my number?" You chuckled. "I stole it from her phone actually." He answered. "A hero? Stealing? I'm disappointed in you." You scolded playfully.

"It's for the greater good, trust me, because I need your help." Suzuki explained. "Well, what's wrong?" You made your way to your car, hopping in. "It's...could you meet me in Shizuoka?" He asked unsure. "Shi-Shizuoka?!" What cou-

"I know! I know! It's just easier if you meet me. I bought you a ticket, too. I can just email it to you."

"Now?! Suzuki, dude, what are you doing?" You palmed your forehead. "Just trust me on this, okay?" He pressed. You sighed, shaking your head as if he could see you. "Okay, sure. Let's do it." You heard him chuckle. "I knew I could count on you. So what's your email?"