Special I Finale: Touch Me Not

"I brought you your breakfast." Cerise once again found herself tapping at your door, only to be greeted with silence. "Princess, please, you haven't eaten in days."

It was silent. 

"Princess?" She tapped again. "Princess?" Slowly but surely, she pushed the door open to be greeted with an empty chamber. "Oh..." Her voice shook, taking a step in quickly scanning the area. "She's not gone." Your father spoke entering the room behind Cerise. "She's-"

"She's angry, not stupid. No need to worry." He took a few more steps in, a hand resting on your writing desk as a frown pulled at his mouth. "I can only hope she won't do anything stupid." He sighed, reading over the runes you'd scratched over parchment, strewn about your desk with vials and flasks of water. Cerise, for a moment, peering over his shoulder, reached out and lifted a corked flask by it's rim. Sparks flying from the liquid as it sloshed around the container. "What is this?" She asked softly. "A bad time for whoever it lands on." He adjusted his reading glasses, eyes still on your runes. "A very unpleasant experience." He wondered when you'd made your way into his things. Where he was while you taught yourself to read and conjure such things.

"Shall I...I'll go get her." Cerise set your things down and lightly bowed. "No need." Your father waved it off, finger tips trailing under each etched line of spells. "She's in the town, the kitchen staff said she left from the window this morning."

II.

Not a single soul needed help that morning, of course they didn't. Your feet led you from end to end, corner to corner of that village. Not a bowl in sight. What you did see, however, were those new faces up close. A few of them coming up to greet you and introduce themselves. They seemed nice enough...for the moment. You let out a sigh, trying your best to stay angry, to stay frustrated. They were making it hard, these people that just waltzed in with gifts. Making themselves at home and making your people smile. You'd stopped walking to watch a group of them make repairs to the exterior of a home, pausing to wave at you while they did. They'd done that to a few structures, their handiwork having a certain mark and air to it.

How lovely it was when a little, familiar face ran up to you, grabbing you by the hand. Snatching you to your senses. "Goodmorning, little one." You smiled at the child. "Goodmorning, princess." He began to pull, coaxing you to walk with him. "Do you need something?" You asked, following him in the direction of his tiny home. "It's bad, princess." Was all he said.

"What is it this time? Is your sister stuck in the plum tree?

"Ma doesn't feel good. She won't get out of bed."

"Your mother..." Your voice trailed off while you eyed the way to their home. "How long has she been sick?"

"A few days." He kept pulling, bringing you over the threshold of the house to see his sibling sitting on the bed next to her mother. Sweating and with breath raspy, her eyes struggled to open, looking at you from behind the strands of hair that were plastered over her forehead. You winced, letting go of the child's hand, and came to her side.

"There." You adjusted the cool rag you'd placed on her head, a hand of hers wrapped weakly around yours. "Was it something you ate?" You asked softly. "She gets like this sometimes but it never lasts this long." One of her children spoke up. "How has she been treating it?" You sat forward. "She just waits until it's gone."

"Until what's gone?" A heavy step set into the living area of the home. The little ones, looking at the step's owner, took a quick retreat from the back of the house. Your lip curled as you glared so slightly over your shoulder.

"Put your distrust aside for just a moment." Enji looked over at the ill woman after entering the room completely. "A fever and what else?"

When you went to speak, the snarky and uncalled for remark you so quickly thought up was caught in your throat. You're playing games with lives, little one. Cursing under your breath, looking over the state of the children's mother, you gave in. "Her body aches and she can't keep anything down."