Cloudgate

--3--

"What do I do?"

You sat, waiting for an answer. It never came. "Not talking to me, huh?" You sighed, leaning forward on crossed legs and adjusting the incense burning on the grave. Its sweet aroma pulled with the slight breeze that came with the overcasted day. "You can be honest if you think I'm doing too much. I'm a big girl. You won't hurt my feelings." You tried again, talking to the tombstone.

'To your left.'

"Hm?" You looked up and in that direction, a figure walking towards you. "Fancy finding you here." Faust plopped down next to you. "I could say the same." You replied, they pointed with their thumb. "Uncle."

"Ah." You nodded. "Who's this," He looked at the tombstone. "Are they?" He corrected. "Good friends," You pointed to each engraved name, introducing them quietly. "The ones I lost not too long ago, at least it doesn't feel like it's been long."

"They're the ones that-"

"Yup." You didn't mean to be so brusque, bringing on an unnecessary silence between the two of you. "Well, the message you got from the airport, how'd that go? What was in that box they found after all this time?" Akira shifted, turning more towards you. You hummed, digging under the collar of your shirt, tugging on the slim chain around your neck, a gold band popping out. You watched it dangle, reflecting the dull grays surrounding you. "No way." Akira leaned in looking at the band. "I know..." You tucked it back in your shirt. "I can't," You shook your head. "I can't keep losing people, Akira. I can't. I'll fucking snap."

"What happened?"

You shot him a face, an unimpressed one. One that said 'be serious' or 'use your thinking skills'.

"Other than them." He ignored it for the most part. "Just some stupid things. I handled it though."

"But it's still bothering you."

"Of course it is." You scoffed. "Spicy." They chuckled. "Akira, I swear it feels like life was so much easier when I was living out of my car."

"Living out of your what?"

You snorted. "You missed a lot. I've had so much character development."

"You don't say? Wanna catch me up?"

"Eh." You shrugged.

"Oh, come on. We've hardly talked in like, what? Three weeks?"

"Maybe I'm avoiding another unsolicited flashback."

"I don't think you are and I know you're not that busy."

"How do you know what my work schedule is like?"

"You want me to believe that guy gives you fucktons of work?"

"You'd be surprised."

"No..."

"Mmm job and home are two wildly different things." You confessed.

"What do you mean by that?"

"By what?"

"Job and home."

"Oh no..." Your expression dropped.

"Are you?!" He sat forward, pressing his palms into the grass.

"Akira, listen." You attempted to stop him.

"Are you?!" His eyes narrowed.

"Akira, please!"