Chapter II - Prelude

What was it really that made the coming months pass you by so quickly?

Little things seemingly fell into place as you spoke with your mother as usual. Your finances were lining up thankfully and she was almost ready to get you back home. Oh, how she gushed about your brother about how he was doing so well in school, only for him to snatch the phone and proudly proclaim he was failing two classes and couldn't wait to have you back home so you could do his homework again. A least he was honest.

A little part of you hurt with every conversation that involved you leaving. What about Might? Endless possibilities flew through your mind as you would sit and overthink what'd he say, how he'd react. You'd grown so attached to seeing him so frequently. 

Frequently was a light term given the amount of times he popped in to say hello. Bogarting you from work just to steal your attention for a few minutes that would turn into a few hours. It hardly ended there. He'd say he was leaving, you'd walk him to the door, and he'd do this thing that made you feel all giddy. The way he flicked his head to say "come with me". 

The pleading eyes you'd give your bosses immediately after were borderline manipulative. Begging unashamedly to let you go just a little early that shift. Their sighs were deep and tired before they gave you what you wanted, and you scurried off behind the hero. You spoiled him, you admitted. Might caught on that you follow him just about anywhere and damn if he hadn't used it to his advantage.

He'd become more open and honest with you, too much sometimes, but it was appreciated. Might called you out on hiding something. It seemed out of nowhere as you sat in that garden enjoying the season's first snow.

He saw something. No matter how wide your smile or how boisterous your laugh, there was a smidgen of aching that stuck out in you like a sore thumb. He prayed he wasn't pushing boundaries in his approach but all he wanted was to help in whatever it was that was plaguing you so.

For a moment you moved to speak, and in that moment you saw his ears perk and wanting flash through his eyes. You pulled back and smiled softly, reminding him he's always saying you're full of surprises so he'll have to let this be another one. You knew you'd have to rip the band-aid off eventually. You were in the tightest of tight spots and because of this you were going home. To say he wasn't disappointed would be a lie. Disappointed but unshaken, he took a step back. He wanted you to know whenever you were ready, he'd be there.

He was, quietly, through text, while your head would rest on Cherry's bedside. Between her aunt, Suzuki, and you she was constantly supervised. The pregnancy had been determined to be high risk and you all had been on your toes. You traveled just a bit further to see her now that she'd taken residence with her aunt. Even then Cherry still made sure you took care of all her plants back home. She got a new one, she said. She shouldn't have, knowing that she wouldn't be there, but it was just so cute. 

The next time you went to be at her side when the other two couldn't, you brought some of her babies with you, including the newest. As much as she wanted to find the perfect spots for them, she had an appointment you were set to get her to. 

It was at that appointment you first heard Aoi's little heart beating a mile a minute and you could swear yours was going just as fast. You watched the doctor point out their little head and feet, their little legs crossed hiding their sex. You shrugged it off, you'd only bought yellow baby clothes thus far anyway.

When the nights ran dark and freezing, and Suzuki or Cherry's aunt hadn't made it back, your head found its place on the edge of her cot. Cherry giggled at how verbal you were with Aoi. You assured her they could hear every word. You knew by all the fluttering they'd done, just barely visible under Cherry's skin. 

She teased, asking how Might felt about helping you partially raise her child, always calling him their 'god-father'. You hadn't minded, that was an enjoyable secret between just the two of you. Your solution to her question was to not bring it up until the last minute. A dick move, but who would be able to say no to those chubby cheeks and toothless smile.

When Christmas came you snuck Cherry out of the house. Her aunt hard down told the two of you 'no'. She didn't want her niece out in that weather for a party of all things.

You went anyway, and Suzuki was in on it, keeping the car warm as you stood outside her window. Layers upon layers, Cherry bundled up. She left a note on her bed that half-assed apologized in case her aunt came to check later. 

With quiet steps she came over and slid the window open. A leg lifted a third of the way up, she questioned how she'd get through with her belly in the way. You reached out and took her hand into yours, telling her to relax as your quirk spread over her. As her feet left the floor, you gently pulled her out. Aiming with your index, you shot one bubble at the latch and dragging it down, you shut the window quickly and quietly. 

The jog you broke into was soft and bounding, Cherry's grip tight on yours as she floated along behind you under the dim street lamps. Your leaps taking you off the ground for seconds at a time, you left oddly spaced shapes in the fresh snow in your wake to the car.

Off you three went. Getting to Koji's home just as Bonhomie was setting out the food. They welcomed you with hugs and hot chocolate, cliche Christmas classics played from a speaker you couldn't seem to locate. The fireplace crackling happily in the background as you all sat at the long dinner table, laughing and enjoying the bountiful meal. Soon after exchanging your secret Santa gifts.

Might called while you flicked aimlessly at the Rubix cube Gum gifted you. You excuse yourself from the crowd to answer. His end of the line filled with his apologies for not being able to make it. You assured him everything was fine, you couldn't be mad at previously made engagements. He had a life too, obviously. But! The next Christmas he'd be all yours, no exceptions. Deal, but he still wanted to make it up to you.

After all the merry making, surrounded by the warmth of your adopted family and Koji's hearth, you snuck Cherry back home. Your bubbles thankfully kept any snow off of her, making her getaway unnoticeable.

Then, came the new year. Its Eve hit like a freight train through a mini mall. Where had the time gone? Fortunately this time around, you didn't need to sneak your friend out of the house for holiday festivities.

First to get dressed to the nines. The two of you went to rent kimonos. From ceiling to floor the shop was filled with the most beautiful materials you'd ever seen. It took Cherry no time at all to choose one but Aoi would absolutely not tolerate the obi, leaving her the only option of a sash to keep the kimono secure. 

It was alright with her, she just lived vicariously through you. Having you wrapped in the second prettiest kimono she could find, the first one already being worn by her. Its pale green that brought out her eyes, and its floral pattern absolutely clashed with the deep violet she picked out for you, contrasting pattern or not. It best matched your hair, she told you while picking out ornaments to set in your locks.

You'd taken so many pictures on the way to Roppongi, you were sure you'd run out of memory on your phone before the night was over. Your album filled with the two of you and random passerby's in their beautiful New Years gowns. 

You pointed to the behemoth of a sky scraper that towered over the rest of the buildings that already dwarfed the two of you. Right to the fourth floor, the exact window, you showed Cherry where you used to work. She gagged at the thought of the office job. Telling you you were better off with the freedom you had now. Her hand intertwined with yours as she tugged you along to your destination. The ideal New Year's celebration she spoke confidently, you wouldn't regret it.