Benediction

When your eyes fluttered open, you were looking out over that garden. Frost covered plants still in the mid winter morning, your exhale was just barely visible. There was a warmth in your hands and glancing down, your hold tightened on the mug in your palms as you sat upon the steps that led down to what you called Arcadia.

"You were right when you said I'd love it." You heard, your head snapping to the left. "Cherry..."

"In the flesh....well, almost." She rolled her eyes before taking a sip from the mug she held on her own. Her eyes, they were more vibrant than you remembered. She looked so awake, so alive. "Yikes." You chuckled, your smile turning into a frown as you shuffled in discomfort against the cold stone. "I miss you, friend."

"I miss you too, but not too much." Cherry replied. "What?" Your face scrunched up at her words. "What are you doing?" She asked, pulling the hood of her jacket above her ears, hiding them from the biting cold. "What do you mean?" You pressed.

"You told him you wouldn't get involved." Those eyes softened, asking you why you went back on your word. "I'm not getting involved I..." You bit your lip, searching for an excuse. "I'm not getting involved, I need answers. There's so much I don't understand and if I could ju-"

"Sounds like you're getting involved to me." She sipped from her mug again. "It's an entanglement." You tried to save face, only for her to snort. "It's whatever...." You shook your head.

"How so?" Her brows lifted.

"Well, I've figured out this is just a dream and you're the face of my common sense. You're here to talk me out of what I'm doing." You puffed. "That's what you've come up with? Interesting." She nodded. "Why'd you say you didn't miss me 'too much'?" You circled back. "Hm." Cherry frowned herself. "I'm not in a rush to see you again."

"Wha-"

Your body jolted up, your heart racing from the blaring alarm that snatched you from your dream. You groaned, rubbing the sleep from your eyes. "No more fish before bed."

Don't get involved. You sat at your desk, eyes tracing between both monitors as you worked. Nakamura was out of sight, you guessed somewhere enjoying his last day in peace. While he did that, you helped yourself to filling a usb port with one of your flash drives as you decorated your desk with tiny succulents and pictures of loved ones. 

Casually, you checked on the process of the copying files every few minutes, grateful the drive you picked up had an excessive amount of space. And after phone calls and running through filings and reports from the departments below you, you were done. The files long finished copying, you removed the flash drive and set it in the bag with your things as you packed to leave. 

The day had flown by, and as Nakamura appeared to walk you out he reminded you that it wouldn't always be as smooth as you'd experienced. "A smooth work day with All Might? Never thought I'd say those words consecutively." Nakamura chuckled. "You'll do well."

You checked the time as you drove. "Not too late, Han shouldn't be busy." You changed lanes and made a turn, taking you towards the little restaurant. Lip twisting as you closed in, not the good kind of excited for what was about to happen. You parked and psyching yourself up before getting out of the car, you put on a brave face.

Just tell him. Just tell him and be done with it. You smoothed out your skirt as you neared your destination, heels clicking against the concrete until you made it. With your hand placed against the door, you took one final deep breathe before pushing it open.

The welcome bell rang happily over the many voices that filled the restaurant. Oh FUCK. You caught sight of the balloons. The balloons, the food, the merry making and confetti. "HEY!" Liu Wei shouted over the many voices of who you assumed were classmates and a few family members. He waved, crawling over the laps of a few to get out of his cramped seat and run over to you. "You made it!"

Huh?! "I made it." You smiled, shrugging innocently to play along. "Look!" Liu Wei dug in his pocket. "Look! I did it!" He shoved a plastic card in your face. "Oh shit!" Your face lit up with realization, taking the card from him and looking over his picture. 

"You got your provisional! Congrats, Zhuque!" You called him by the hero name he'd chosen. "Putting those flames to use, eh?" You ruffled the hair of the beaming teen. "Trying to get picked up by Endeavor's agency?" You teased ruffling harder, Liu Wei struggled to get away, let alone stop his laughter. "I have to intern first!" Finally, he made it out of your hold. "You'll do great, I know it." You handed over his provisional license. "Just promise to be careful." You continued. "Duh! You're gonna see my name in bright lig-"

"Liu Wei! Come here!" His attention shot over his shoulder at the teens waving him over. "Go have fun." You pushed him gently, that grin returned before he turned to run over. Guess I should wait until later. You turned for the door. "I-" A hand took hold of your wrist, you looked to see Han. "I didn't mean to not invite you." He spoke softly. "We weren't sure if you'd be able to make it. Your availability dropped this week and-"

"That's alright, really." You tried to assure him, giving his hand a pat as he let go. "Was there something you needed?" Han asked, you took another look around the atmosphere. "It can wait." You answered. "But you came all the way here. There must be." Your lips twisted again. "Step outside with me?"

Just a twinge of frustration escaped when Han sighed, his hands rubbing nervously together. "I cannot say I didn't see it coming." He let out a soft laugh. "Though I didn't think it would come this way."

"What do you mean, Han?" You both leaned against the large window of the restaurant, the happy voices heard behind you, the neon lights hanging inside lit your beings in red. "Can I be honest?" He asked. "When have you not been?" You chortled. "You...you have a point." He cleared his throat. "I thought, with all those visits, that hero was coming to whisk away my employee."

"Really?" You lifted a brow. "I thought you'd come in with the biggest grin and say 'Han! I'll never have to work another day in my life! I quit!' Not 'Han, All Might gave me a very demanding job, I can't work for you anymore."

"Woah now." You lifted a hand. "I can't work as much."

"You won't have the time, be honest with yourself. A career and two jobs? No, no you've always looked like you've wanted more than to work day in and out."

"I have?" Your head tilted as he spoke. "I told you good things would come if you stopped staying up all night on those video games."

"Han-"

"You have to be awake and alert to catch blessings."

"Hm, well if I was so awake and alert I wouldn't have been caught."

"You're saying you're a blessing now?"

"No, just working with what you gave me." You snickered. "You'll do fine. You've been doing fine since your friends passed and I'm sure there's nothing that can stop you." Han nodded. "I've got two young people to be proud of now."

"Thank you, Han. Really."

"Don't thank me." He chuckled. "You think you can get that son of mine a contract once he's old enough?" The both of you looked over your shoulders at the teen, flames spewing from his throat towards the ceiling while his friends cheered him on. "I'll see what I can do."