Vampyr

--200+ reads y'all? thank you so much! it motivates me to keep writing, and i really can't wait for y'all to see where this goes!--

Bills bills bills bills bills. You scrolled through a spreadsheet on your phone. You'd been splitting your earnings down to the atom to pay what you could and hold on to at least enough to feed yourself and your car. You sighed heavily and pinched your temples. It was too late in the year for you to reenter as a teacher and the "if one of our own can do it, why hire a foreigner?" wall was too high to climb. Honestly, you weren't sure if you'd lucked out when you were hired at the towers, or if it was just preferred to have a diverse group of employees. Who knows?

The recent check-in call you had with your mother didn't go well either. Things weren't going too swell on her end from what she vented on. From school, to work, to scraping together what she could to help you come home, she was exhausted. You told her to stop worrying so much, which didn't actually help the clairvoyant. She suggested to ask your old supervisor for your job back, apologize for whatever it was that made them so cross with you.

You, understandably, cackled at the prospect. "No, no I don't think I will. I don't think that's even an option." Oops.

After wrapping up your conversation with her, you sat, still frustrated over your situation, on a park bench. You thought soaking up some sun after hitting the gym would help you relax. Nope. Maybe I should start jogging along the river again. It's so nice out there. Exercise was out of the question at the moment. You'd already done your workout and bathed off all that sweat.

I wonder what Cherry is up to... You gave her a ring. "Hi hi!" She answered. "Hey! I uh..." you furrowed your brows. "Do you wanna hang out today?"

"Sure." Cherry agreed pretty quickly. "Come by my place? I'm moving stuff around and I could use a hand or two or a few bubbles." That got a laugh out of you. "Sounds like fun. I'll be there soon."

"Knock knock?" You tapped lightly on her door. Cherry swung it open soon after."Hellooo-ugh." Her welcoming smile turned into a grimace. "You look like shit, hun."

"Wow, thanks." You rubbed your temples. "It's that bad, huh?"

"It really is." She nodded and pulled you in.

Before you knew it you were sitting across from her at the kotatsu. A pot of Ginseng tea split between you. "What's going on?" Cherry asked, your eyes were focused on the chestnut waves coming from her scalp forming a bun on her crown. "Hello?" She waved a hand in front of your face. "Sorry." Your attention shifted to her. "Yes, this is my hair and it's besides the point. What's bothering you?" You shook your head, eyes now on the ceramic cup in your palms. "I'm just stressed."

"Oh?" She raised an eyebrow. "No shit, I couldn't tell."

"That's some strong sarcasm, ma'am." You sighed and took a sip. "Well, you're not giving me much to work with. It's not that guy is it?" You almost choked. "What? No!" It couldn't have been Might. As far as you knew, he was helping you. Well, maybe future employees more than yourself. The worst he'd done is not reply to your "Hello" a day or so ago. He's a busy guy, so you weren't complaining.

"Well?!" Cherry's arms flew up in confusion. "It's money, finances and the like." You went for another sip. "I'm barely getting by and I'm struggling to find a better paycheck."

"Oh..." Cherry's expression softened. "Then you'd leave us when you do?"

"Oh, nooo." You shook your head. "I like working two jobs. I'd leave the other." You motioned with your head as if Han was just to your left. The brunette let out a sigh of relief. "My mom wants me back home though." You continued. "Made a mistake that snowballed into this."