Spare Time: Naegi

--sorry i've been gone y'all...it's just been a loooong week. but i'm back now. much love 💖💖--

"Knock knock." You said peeping into Cherry's apartment. "Mooorning." She waved, coming down the hall. "Come on in." You shuffled inside, closing the door behind you. "Whatcha got there?" She pointed to the grocery in your grasp. "Oh! I was passing by the store and someone was handing out coupons." 

You dug out the food you bought. "There was one for fish and look what I found." You showed off the two massive fillets you held. "Damn." Cherry blinked in astonishment, you extended them to her. "Fish and soup for breakfast?" She asked, taking them from you. "Sounds like a plan." You went back in your bag. "They had tofu too." She looked over the block of off white. "We're feasting today." Cherry went to set the fish in the kitchen. " After we meditate of course."

Cherry cleared her throat as you opened your eyes, finishing up your session. "I'm growing something new and I need help naming it." 

"What is it?" You stretched and pushed up from the kotatsu. "I don't know." She shrugged and got up herself, heading to the kitchen. "You bought a random pack of seeds again, huh?" You asked behind her. "Something like that." She called back, the sound of pots and pans clanging filling the tiny home. "Hmm, well." You walked around the apartment, pointing to each plant and saying their name out loud. 

Finishing at the little fern that sat on her counter, you'd thought of a name she hadn't chosen. "What abooout Chise?" You said in a bounce. "That's...okay, but I don't love it." Cherry set the fillets of fish in the grill portion of the oven. "Can you cut those?" She pointed to a handful of dried seaweed resting on a cutting board. "Yeah." 

You went to wash your hands and pulled a knife from one of the drawers, bunching the greens neatly to cut. Small rings of green piling up as you sliced quickly. "Miki?" Cherry gagged. "Too cliche." You bit your lip, sliding the remainder off the blade with your forefinger. "Osamu? I had a student named that." Cherry shook her head, adding the seaweed to the soup. "Too strong."

"Tamako?"

"I don't like that one either." She slid the tofu you bought in your direction for you to dice as well. "Kazuya?" You turned the palm sized block into a pyramid of cubes. "Eh," she shook her head and took as much as she could grab, adding them to the pot. "I've got an ex with that name."

"Ew." You laughed and dropped the rest of the tofu in. "So not that one."

"Absolutely not that one." Cherry peeked in on the fish, the rice cooker beeping happily as it finished its job. "Almost done." You nodded and tidied up the area. "Noboru?" You glanced over your shoulder as you washed the cutting board and knife. Cherry's hair nearly fell out of it's bun with how hard she shook her head 'no'. 

You pursed your lips, setting the dishes to dry and turning on your heal to plop down on the couch. Your head hanged lazily off the armrest as you shot names that were rejected one after another. 

"Yasuko?" You spouted, Cherry's head tilting as she thought. "Nah." She scrunched her nose. "Ugh!" You threw your hands up. "Does it always take this long to name your babies?" You asked exasperated. "Yup, that's why you're helping me this time." She answered. "Damn." You sucked your teeth, eyes fixated on the ceiling as you thought.

"Hey!" Cherry snapped. "Huh?" You shot up. "Didn't you hear me calling you?" She asked. "Nope." You piped. "Oh, well come help me with this food." She motioned you back to the kitchen. "Okay." You slid off the couch. 

"I still can't believe you found this fish on sale." Cherry said while plating the massive slices. "I know. It was too good to pass up." You took hold of the plate and balanced both bowls of rice in the other hand, taking them to sit on the kotatsu. Her steps behind you as she followed with the soup and a pot of tea.

You ate but your focus was on finding a name, the television on one of those music video stations as background noise while you made idle conversation. Your head blindly bobbed to the beat as you thought. 

"That's it!" You snapped. "What?" Cherry's eyes traced to you as she set down her cup. "Aoi." You said confidently. "...Aoi." Cherry repeated. "Aoi." She nodded slowly. "That's the one."

"Yes!" You wiggled with excitement. "Well," Cherry pushed back from the table, her gaze on her hand that rested on her abdomen, the other pointed at you. "Aoi, meet your kari-oya."

"What?" You dropped your utensils. "WHAT?

You shot forward, Cherry had a grin spreading wide across her cheeks. "I'm growing something new." She repeated. "Oh my-" you reached out cautiously. "Can...can I?" You asked. "Yeah." She gave you the go ahead. "H-Hey, Aoi." You grinned like an idiot. "My little god-child, Aoi." Your cool hand ran across her stomach. "You can call me auntie if you want." You sniffed. "We're going to get into so much mischief together." 

You looked back up at Cherry. "How'd Suzuki react, what'd he say?" She shook her head. "I haven't told him yet. He's been so busy these past few days, I don't want to worry him while he's working, but I know he'll be excited."

You hummed in understanding. "You'll have to move for more room." You began. "We will. We'll have to decide on a prefecture too."

Your heart sank some at the thought of her leaving. This must be how she felt when I told her that mom wanted me back home... "Just let me know when and my bubbles will be at the ready." You offered your help, accepting that where she may go would be just a ride away.