Betrothal

"I hope you're making too much." Yagi rounded into the kitchen. "Maybe I am, maybe I'm not." You shrugged, pouring glaze over the boneless wings you fried. "What are those?" He leaned over your shoulder, watching. "Sweet heat sticky wings and yes you can." You peeped his hand inching closer to where he thought was in your blind spot. He hummed a small thank you, snatching one up and turning on his heel. You heard the fridge open and a

Crunch.

Followed by a moan? Was that a moan? Your head cocked to the side, confusion curling your lip while you were caught somewhere between keeping your eyes on what you were doing and turning to look at him. "Did...Did you just-"

Toshi cleared his throat. "Marry me."

"Pfft. Build me a house." That did it. You looked at him over your shoulder, tupperware half opened between your hands.  "What?" Yagi peeked around the door of the fridge before closing it. "I said that's the food talking." You turned back to packing.

"It's not."

"Definitely is." You chuckled. "What's wrong with this house?" The blonde questioned. "Nothing...I just want my own place. You know that. " You shrugged, not thinking much of it. "Okay?" You caught him mocking your shrug from your peripheral. "Do you have a style in mind or do you want to look at floor plans later?" He pressed.

"ooooOOOOOH my goodness." You threw your head back with that groan, tired. "Just say you love me already!"

"Where's the fun in that?" He chuckled. "Huh?" That head snapped up to look right at him, just in time to catch him stealing more food, the sliders you made. What do you mean by that?

"These look good...I'm still trying to wrap my head around you." He leaned his side against the kitchen island, looking over the slider before promptly inhaling it. Sir, you could at least savor it. "But you asked me to marry you?" A brow of yours lifted.

"I wasn't asking." Yagi half laughed, arms crossing.

"Oh. Oh, so you were demanding." Your head reared back, hands flat and pressing against the lid of the container to seal it shut. "It was more of a suggestion." He corrected. "I am no stranger to rejection, so I'll leave the offer on the table," he unfolded an arm and patted the island. "and you pick it up when you're feeling bold again. Does that work for you, Peach?"

You rolled your eyes. "You got another no."

He grinned, eyes squinting just a bit as he did. "It's still on the table."

"I'm talking about the gala dammit!" You bit back a smile. "There's time for you to change your mind. You can go." He stood straight, hand now out for yours. You looked at the food and sides you made, then back to him. "Just thought I'd mention it." Yoshi teased.

"There's still one more person." You sighed.

"It's the day of, we'll assume it's a no as well."

"There's still time."

"I don't need a plus one. It just looks good for the press." He snatched another wing off the tray. "Photos on the carpet outside then inside it's full of assholes that don't even know what charities they're supporting."

"Speaking of photos," Your turn to face him fully, posture mirroring his as you leaned against the counter. "Why aren't you getting ready?"

"You've done something different with your hair. I like it." Yagi leaned forward, looking over your crown.

"Don't change the subject, Jewels told me you've made a habit of being late to galas."

"Not sure why he'd tell you that, but alright."

"Maybe so I'd remind you that you can't go in gray sweatpants and socks."

"I don't see anything wrong with it-"

"That's such a lie." You scoffed. "What's this?" He motioned towards the box on the island. "It's about the subject at hand, that's what." You stepped to the side adjacent to him. "My gray sweatpants?" Yagi grinned. "Toshinori." You narrowed your eyes, lips pursed. "I'm just letting you know I caught that." He slid the box over to himself. "It's from Jewelii, he said you didn't pick a tie so he picked one for you." You shoved a nearby napkin into his free hand. "Don't get it all nasty."

"I won't."

"Yeah, okay." You opened the box, harsh gold reflections hit you in the eye. "It's pretty, but damn."

"Looks like something he'd be into." Might chuckled again. Carefully, you removed the geometric mirrored tie from the box. "Is that a fucking clip on?" His grin dropped. "Toshi, sweetie, does this tie made of several pieces of glass look like it can be tied normally?"

"Don't."

"Does it though?" You squinted. "Does it?"

"Can you put it on, please, since you're so lively."

"Is that your way of saying you're going to get ready now instead of later? If it is, then I'd love to."

Weird way to say yes, but it was still a yes. Coat missing and shoes nowhere to be found, he sat half-ready on the couch. "Is that too tight?" You asked, fingers fixed to flip his collar down while you stood behind his sitting form. "No." Yagi shook his head.

"Are you sure?"

"Positive." He took hold of one of your wrists, pulling you to eye level, half your torso hanging over the cushions. "Last chance? There's still time to kill." A bit dramatic with your entrance, you let your weight shift, falling forward.

Might caught you, his arm out and bent at the elbow catching you beneath the ribs. "You fell into my arms again," He pulled your form into him. "that must be a yes." You shook your head while sitting up, legs crossed at the ankle and thrown over his lap. He moved only to where his arm now wrapped around your back, hand resting on your side.

"I can't make you any more late than you're planning to be." Your hand raised, the backs of your knuckles brushing past his temple and pushing back those stubborn runaway strands of hair. "You look nice. Very gala ready." You said softly, watching him take your hand. "You really like doing that, hm?" You asked as he kissed the back of your palm, he nodded. "You'll come with me to the next one, won't you?"

"I think about it."

"That's not fair. I've already promised you my Christmas." His blue caught you, lips moving to your fingers. "You did, didn't you?" You saw him nod again. "I guess I can squeeze you into my schedule."

"You're too good to me."

"I'll see you later tonight?" You sighed out, Yagi agreed. "Of course, we have to look at floor plans together."

"Toshi..."

"Watch a few home improvement shows for ideas?" He raised his brows. Damn. "You haven't even met my people yet." You rolled your eyes. "Your mom seems to like me already." You felt him smile. "At least what she knows of me."

"It's not my mom I'm worried about."

"Ah, the infamous, protective father cliché? He'll come around, I'm sure."

"Oh? And why is that?" You smiled back, leaning in with your question. "Planning to bond over classified data? Maybe share a few beers and compare achievements?"

Toshi hummed, "You'd need a beer too, my overachiever.", placing another peck on you. "Ah, he knows." You waved it off. "There's hardly anything I can't attribute to my pops."

"You think highly of him."

"I've got half the mind to say he was preparing me to succeed him." You broke eye contact for a moment. "Interesting." Yagi raised his brows. "You haven't said that in a while." A smirk played at your lips. "What's on your mind, Symbol of Peace?"

"Nothing bad, but if you're anything like him, he'll come around."

"And if I'm nothing like him?" You asked.

"I don't run from challenges, Peach."

"Then I wish you all the luck in the world against Kane."