Thief

You threw sweats on over your leggings and wore your old faithful hoodie over your night shirt. Needless to say, you were sweltering in the car as you navigated for your driver. "Sir, I am not sick anymore...so if you could just." You pointed at the temperature knob. "Turn that...all the way down."

"Your hand's already there." The hero snorted. Oop. "Say no more." You adjusted it to something more comfortable...for you. "Are you alright with this?" You asked. "Not too cool?"

"I'm alright." He started. "How'd you find out about...wherever we're going?"

"Cherry." You adjusted yourself a bit. "We went a few times. I um," you ran a quick hand over your scalp, recalling the happenstance. "We were hanging out one day, just talking. She asked what one thing I loved about Tokyo, I said the vending machines. 'They're so cool, we don't have 'em like this where I'm from." You chuckled. 

"She says 'Eh?! the what?' I'm like...jidouhanbaiki?" You stifled your laugh, trying to replicate the face she made. "'Ji-jidouhanbaiki?' She's saying this and I'm confused as shit! Am I saying it wrong? Did I just call her mom a bitch?" Might snorted. "I'm looking at her like 'what have I done?!' She says 'What are you, hm? A tourist?  Is that what you are? Are you still a tourist? Jidouhanbaiki.' She scoffed and rolled her eyes, 'Ji-han-ki' She clapped with every syllable. You sighed, rubbing your eyes. "Did all that just to tell me to cut out a few letters, then took me aaaall the way out here for lunch."

"So we're riding two hours to go to a vending machine...?" Yagi let his eyes leave the road for a few seconds, unbelieving of what you were actually saying. Good thing the highway was barren, save for the occasional car going the opposite direction.

"Why are you asking me an hour in?" You laughed. "I tried to tell you before we left."

"What's special about this one, other than the memories attached to it?" He turned back to the road, amused. "You'll see why when we get there. According to her it's the last of three like it." You checked your phone, it'd been buzzing relentlessly the entire time in your front pocket. You scanned over the work group chat, catching up on all the conversation you missed. "What's wrong?" Yagi asked.

"Nothin'." You shook your head. "Koji wants to have a get together at some point...more of a dinner party really." You said, still reading. "What are you taking?"

"This exit here." You pointed. "I'm not sure. Maybe something from home."

"You've got time to decide, don't you?"

"Mhm..."

"Right there, right there!" You patted Yagi's arm repeatedly, pointing at the cluster of vending machines in the middle of nowhere. "What the hell." His eyes narrowed as he pulled in closer. "I know it looks kinda sketchy but-"

"Kinda?" 

An L shaped row of machines were illuminated by one, single street lamp. A picnic table lightly frosted over rested beneath the light. Silhouettes of untouched forest in the distance, not a peep coming from whatever called it home called out. 

"You'll be fine." You hopped out of the car and made a beeline for the machine Cherry shared with you. Ice and snow crunched under your feet, the sound of Might getting out rang behind you. "Are those shipping containers?" His attention cut to the left as he approached. "Maybe." You shrugged while digging through your pocket for yen, ignoring the darkened rectangular shapes stacked to the sky that he questioned. There it is. 

"I think there's a railway nearby." You said while shoving the note into the machine. You read over the options. You...You pushed one button. You...Then another. Aaand you. With the last press the vending machine beeped happily, a timer appeared on its little screen, a happy, cartoon ramen cup thanking you for your purchase and telling you it wouldn't be long before your food would be ready. "What are you getting-"