Book One Finale: Desideratum

--i really wanna thank all of y'all who've been with me since the beginning, everyone new, and every one of you in between. it's definitely been a struggle getting here, but all of your kind words, your affirmations, your dms, your follows, your likes,  your comments, all of it, really and truly gets me through it all. i'm so excited to be wrapping up book one (finally lmao) with y'all. thank you. i love you. 💖💖--

He was still quiet, still brusque at times. Slowly but surely your relationship migrated into something different. Was it that things were easier when you lived in your car? Or was it that you had less responsibility? Less attachment? You'd shake your head, sitting at your desk, shooing those thoughts away for as long as they'd permit you peace.

Just a little longer.

You entered the home long past sundown after a few extra hours at Koji's. Shoulders just a little sore from packing everything with your coworkers. Koji signed the lease on the building you were supposed to be viewing with him. "It didn't get damaged that bad. And the price dropped because of what happened." was his reasoning. Between that and Tauros trying to put you in a headlock all evening to 'Test your reflexes', you were beyond tired.

Only a few lights were on, one far past your room catching your eyes while it bounced off the wall. He was home? You slid your shoes off at the genkan, bracing yourself against the door's trim as you did. You called for Soot quietly, not seeing the ball of fur running up to you until they made figure eights between your ankles. "Hello, to you too."

With your nightly routine done, and your pet coaxed into their bed, you exited your room. You hadn't heard much of anything as far as movement was concerned. Figuring the hero had forgotten to turn his room lights off before leaving, you decided you'd do it before crawling into bed yourself.

Ah. Your brows raised slightly when you reached the doorway. He was there, tablet in hand and bluelight glasses on, reading silently. His head motioned towards you, eyes still on what he was reading. "Yes?" 

You cleared your throat, fidgeting slightly. "I was just coming to say goodnight."

"Do you mind if I keep you for a few minutes?" He looked at you finally. "I've got some questions about what you sent me today."

"Okay," You nodded, "Which one?"

"More than one." He patted the space next to him on the bed.

It felt like an entire shift, sitting there, talking over the various documents and emails you bcc'd him in. You finally pulled your finger back after explaining something in what you felt was too much detail. But that was just to prevent any more questions. You still asked though, to be courteous. "What else did you want to go over?" He shook his head, cutting off the screen to the tablet. "That was all."

You opened your mouth to speak, but changed your mind quickly and opted to say nothing. But his brows lifted, inviting you to say what was on your mind. "I. Can I ask you something?" You gripped at the loose fabric of your shirt, nails poking through enough to scratch at your folded knees. Yagi hummed, nodding for you to continue. "About the other day, at the outlet mall, what's happening with that? I can't find anything on it." You halfway confess to snooping through documents. The news cycles weren't enough, just a mundane 'group of villains doing villainous things and heroes doing their hero things'.

"It's more than expected."

"Well, yeah, with that thing and all." You nodded.

"I can show you some things, but I can't promise you'll like it." Yagi offered. "That's fine." You asserted and scooted closer and watched while he poked around on his tablet again. Handing it over to you with documents open for your observing. You took it hesitantly, pulling it into your lap as you began to read. Mugshots, criminal histories, affiliations, basic things you would expect to see.