Arcadia

This...this was different. You stood outside of the apartment, phone in hand as you read over the directions you were sent. Definitely a surprise, anyone else would've just sent the location. You knew the general area of where he was sending you. You glanced at your car, your hip resting against it. 

It's faster to go by train, but we're already starting kinda late, so it may be safer to take the car. You sighed. But I've got a ton of stuff in the back seat, it looks junky. You pocketed your phone and pulled your blankets and pillow from the seats, stuffing them in the trunk. That solves that, but it's still faster to take the train...and he's expecting me not too long from now. Fuck, it I'll do both

You hopped in and drove to the nearest station. You checked the times as you walked in, opting for the all women's train times, for serial killer purposes. Not to say they couldn't be a she, this would cut the risk at least.

You got off the train and followed the directions to your meeting spot. I've seen this before. Your trail leading you down a sidewalk, a high hedge your companion as it made every turn around every corner you took. A break in the greenery arched high above your head. You glanced at your directions. Well this has gotta be it. 

A cemented staircase waited for you. The smell of citrus filling your nostrils as you ascended. Kinmokusei towering over you as they guided you on your way. Their little orange petals decorating the incline. Okay, Might. You checked again for directions as you came to a break in the stairs. A platform that didn't seem too out of place, like a spot to rest if the trek had become a tad too much. This looks like a fork to me. It's just disguised as all hell

The fragranced trees beckoned you to continue following them up the stairs to your right. Might's list told you to veer left, and so you did. You maneuvered through a cluster of the Kinmokusei, the flowers parting to reveal trees brandishing their reds and greens. They lined your new path made of cobblestone. You thanked yourself mentally for not actually wearing heels, the stones under you were neat but not level. The sunlight just barely peeked through the canopy. Angular sunspots swayed in the wind, wiping over you and the promenade.

In the near distance, beyond the raining leaves, there was a fountain. It stood tall and spewed happily as you approached. Stepping out onto its clearing, the sun's beams assaulted your eyes. You shielded them with your hand, turning away to see - "Oh my-"

All the colors you met previously and more met your gaze. Rusting maple dancing near sturdy black pines that found their homes snuggly between boulders. Strong and old roots grown through and around their bases. You were elevated just high enough to see some of the winding path that ran through spouts of Kochia in green shrubbery, the moss that lined a tease of a pond and its bridge that led to more flora. Little tufts of pink waved at you from far and near in the cool breeze. Cosmos had seemed to have found their place where they saw fit. 

Something tugged you towards the path down, a guttural feeling that dragged you towards the broad steps that led to the paradise before you. The potted chrysanthemums that lined your path sang hymns of the peace you'd find once you took repose under the pines and let the maple leaves do the same in your tresses.

You took one step down, your other foot dragging behind you. No... You retracted, stepping back up. He said he'd be at the fountain. I wouldn't want him to think I got lost.  Your long sleeve, velvet dress was keeping you relatively warm in the cooling weather, you turned around scanning the area, noticing the browning bamboo that encased the small courtyard.

Where is he? You took a few steps for a better view. Dude is like seven feet, it should not be this hard. Your phone buzzed.

Behind you