Make Time

What do I do, me? You checked the time standing outside of the karaoke bar. I don't have to be back until 8. You sighed and looked around. I guess I could get to know the area now. You found yourself leaching off the wifi at an internet cafe until it was almost time to start your first shift, changing in their bathroom quickly and heading out.

It was even more beautiful at night, your new job, all lit up. Strobe lights flashing and shooting beams from the windows, the cement under your feet vibrating with bass as you stepped in. A duo was already tearing up the stage, you weren't sure if they'd had some of Bonhomie's special touch or if they just had that much chemistry up there. Either way, seeing them bounce around and the enthusiastic crowd made you feel energized. I think I love it here already. You walked towards the bar, absorbing in as much as you could. "You must be the new girl. Siren, right?" A tall, mahogany man asked from the other side. "That's what they're calling me." You waved. "And you ar-"

"Hey, man! Can I get another one?" A patron asked from a few seats down. A slim tail, with a groomed tuft hair on its tip, grabbed a bottled beer from the tub of ice next to your coworker. Curiosity ate at you until you peaked over the bar, watching him pop the cap and slide the drink down. "Yoooo!" Your eyes went wide, there was a tap on your shoulder. "Hm?" You turned only to be bopped on the nose by a similar appendage. The laugh that erupted from you was giddy. "You're Tauros!" You jumped. "My reputation precedes me." He held out his hand, you took it to shake. "Nice to meet you!"

"Oh! What's my name? Do you already know me too?!"

"Oh shit!" You blinked wildly, trying to get your bearings together looking at the glowing orange girl that ran up to you. "It's the black lights." Tauros informed. "Is it Firefly? Pixie, maybe?" You giggled. "No!" She pushed you playfully, a serving tray tucked under her arm. "I'm Gumdrop!" Koji is wild with these names, y'all. "Gumdrop." You nodded. "I'm happy to be here working with you."

"Awesome!" She held out a fist and you bumped yours against it. "Play nice, you two!" The three of you turned to the voice shouting over the music. "I only know how to play nice!" Gumdrop stuck out her tongue. "Do I look like that much of a bully, Cherry?" Tauros asked. "Sometimes." She grinned as she reached you. Her hair now purple and pulled in two buns on either side of her dome. You didn't realize how hard your gaze had turned looking at her hair. "What-"

"Grape!" You said in a hop. "PFFFFFT." Tauros turned away, cackling. "I don't get it- OOOH!" Gumdrop covered her smile with the tray she held. "Damn, Siren. At least let me clock in before you roast me." Cherry let out an exasperated chuckle. "Sorry! It slipped!" You covered your mouth. "No worries." She set a hand on your shoulder. "It just means you're ready. You belong with us." She winked.

You shadowed Grape for most of the night. Taking mental notes as she gave you tips and pointed out the regulars. "Remember what they eat." She told you. "It's always the same starter, so put the order in as soon as they come through the door if you can." You burned their faces into your memory. She eventually cut you loose, letting you navigate on your own. Proud of how fast you picked up on everything. "Hey?" You came up to her as she set an order in with Bon. "What's up?" Cherry looked at you. "Do you think it'd be okay if I skate? I could move faster." You asked. "Skate?" She asked, her expression confused as if she hadn't heard you correctly. "Mhm! I can put bubbles on my soles." You brought a foot up and demonstrated, setting four bubbles in place. "Fucking go for it!" She let out an astonished breath. "Awesome!" You did the other foot and shot off, bouncing with the music.

"Having fun?" Someone asked as you picked up an order of drinks from Tauros. "Oh yeah!" You grinned loading your tray, then glanced towards who had spoken. They were as pale as fresh snow, their icy gray eyes boring into yours and chin resting in their hand. "Hello." You gave your soft smile and picked up the tray. "Siren?" They asked. "That's me."