Preoccupied

Yagi cleared his throat. Brows lifted, you set your phone face down in your lap as you rode passenger. "Yes, sir?" Your gaze turned to him. "You don't have to call me that." He exhaled, head shaking just barely as he did.

"Ah, but it's so much fun."

"We're not working." This was true, the sun had long set and the both of you left later than expected. The car ride to this mystery dinner spot he'd chosen was illuminated by streetlamps dimmed by the heavily tinted windows. "You aren't working." You replied, shooting finger guns, only to be met with a sigh in correspondence. "Yes, Toshi?" You turned as much as the seat belt would allow. "What's on your mind?"

"A lot actually."

"Start somewhere." You let your head tilt, your phone buzzing from a message on your thigh. "I," He began. "Where do you get those rice balls?" You couldn't help but giggle. What a starting point. "I know," He fought a smirk. "I was thinking we could go pick some up on the way home."

"Which ones, the karage? Those usually are usually gone first."

"And the mackerel." Yagi nodded. "Hm, what about the meatball ones?" You asked.

"Gone."

"Damn, Yoshi." You laughed, briefly glancing at your phone as it went off again. "I was actually thinking of adding crab to the mix."

"They have crab?" Excitement slipped out in his reply, his form tilting towards the steering wheel for a moment. "They could." You nodded.

"I'm tempted to go now. You still haven't told me where you get them."

"Yoshi, I make those."

Silence.

That silence was brief, broken by another message coming in. "Y-You do?" Yagi spoke up. "Mhm. We'll still have to go to the store after dinner, buuut I could show you how I make them." You invited. "If you're feeling up to it."

"I believe I would be."

"That's good to hear." You smiled, the car rocking slightly after being put into park, turning your phone face up again as you received another message. "Who's trying to get your attention?" Yagi leaned over, peeking as you typed out a reply. "Nosy." You set a hand over his eyes. "I'm talking to my brother."

"Mm." He brought your hand down gently by the wrist. "You don't talk about him much."

"I don't, do I?" You pursed your lips for a moment. "To be fair, I don't talk about my family around you at all." Now that you thought about it, you mother was the only one to come up in conversation, and that wasn't often.

"Well, what's he like?" Yagi pressed on for conversation. "Uhm," You tapped your chin. "He's cool?"

"Sounds like you don't know your brother." He jabbed. "If you want to fight, you could just say that." You sat back. "No fighting." Yagi propped an elbow against the headrest of your seat. "Describe him."

"Me, but younger." This should not be this hard. You thought, sending another reply to your sibling. "If you took him to karaoke,"

"Pfft." You rolled your eyes. "No, hear me out." Toshi waved. "If you took him to karaoke what would his first choice be?"

"Stay with me." You answered almost too quickly. "Nooo," Yagi's brows furrowed. "Really?"

"No lie, he'd sing Off Shore immediately after."

"I'm going to have to call bull shit."

"You're gonna have to eat your words." You sucked your teeth. "I'm in the mood for a bet, are you?"