Special I Part II: Loves Me Not

--hey yall! we made it to 100k views and i can't thank each one of you enough! this has been a long ride, but thankfully i've got you all with me and the end in sight. book two will be uploaded here and will have an upload dedicated just to it's cover. i love all of you so much. this will be part two of three lol. i noticed i had a lot more to say in the special than previously thought. kinda wonder if i should've just made it it's own book. anyway, thank yall for coming back time and time again. yall are amazing! much love and welcome to part two: loves me not 💖💖--

I.

"What do you think, Cerise?" You grinned. "Think of what, princess?" A quiet voice replied. You stood over your writing table. A folded note in hand, you held it above the dancing flame of your messenger candle, watching it burn and flicker into nothing. "When do you think he'll write back?"

"I," the handmaid took a breath. "I'm not sure, princess."

"What makes you say that, Cerise?" You peeked over your shoulder at her before putting your quill and ink away. "May I speak freely?" Her voice was as low as she hung her head. Brows furrowed and eyes boring holes into the stone floor of your chambers.

"Always." You nodded.

"I don't believe it's in your best interest to correspond with that man."

"Why do you say that?" You turned to face her completely, your backside resting against the edge of the desk. "He's shown nothing of value, yet held your attention the entire night of the ball." She paused, hands gripping each other tightly at her front. "There were many fine suitors, and though some were quite homely, they came from prosperous lands. Ones that could help us."

"I see now why my mother sent you to me."

The maid hadn't lied. Not a single fallacy in sight. Since you returned home, well over a month had passed and you made no move to entertain even a single suitor. Your form would stand in front of the dining hall's hearth, spewing excuses as you read over letters sent from the princes and high lords you danced with.

You didn't like this about him.

He was too much that.

As you tossed your grievances into the flame your mother kept alight. You could feel her judging eyes on the back of your neck as mundane and vague reasons poured from your tongue. "This one." You read it over twice, giving her the courtesy of a glance and a wave of the parchment. "This one doesn't care for the common folk."

"Memorable enough. That's the most you've said about any of them."

"That would be because he reminds me of you, mother." You frowned, tossing the parchment in to burn with the rest. "Both of you are fiery and nearly insufferable."

Your face scrunched, hands shooting to soothe the headache you felt coming on recalling the shouting match you instigated. "What shall I do then, Cerise? Marry any one of them with enough resources?"

"If I may be honest, princess, yes."

There it came. The ringing of the bell that bounced above your candle. Enthusiasm dripped from your fingertips as you pinched the flame, pulling a stack of folded parchment out, tied and held together with twine. A smaller, folded piece stuck lightly on top. You removed it first, opening and reading it to yourself.

I'd just been getting this together for you.

For your crops, princess.

You undid the knot, unfolding one of many pages, it was filled with notes and diagrams. "How did he?" You whispered, eyes racing over the words and taking in what you could in a matter of seconds. "What is it?" Cerise took a step towards you. "I need to speak with my father." You bolted out of your chambers.