II

They first appeared over a hundred years ago. Giant, humanoid creatures with a taste for our blood. The brute strength of these aberrations trumped an average person's many times over.

We were shoved to the brink of extinction almost overnight. The survivors erected Walls Maria, Rose, and Sina; withdrawing behind them in frightened huddles for what was to be a century of uneasy peace.

And then...

Hannes was panting heavily as he carried the children. Eren began punching him. "Damn it! Stop!" Hannes shouted.

"You son of a bitch! We could've saved her! We almost had her out! Why did you come? Why?" Eren yelled out tearfully punching Hannes.

"I told you to stop!" Hannes yelled as he grabbed Eren's wrist and threw him to the ground.

"Eren!" Mikasa yelled out struggling in the hold. She broke free as she ran to Eren.

Hannes then put Kyra down as he stepped forward, "Look...There's nothing you could've done for her, you understand? You're a kid; you're weak." Hannes said softly giving reason.

Eren grounded his teeth in anger as he moved to punch Hannes, who caught his wrist. "I'm worse. When push came to shove, I was too frightened to hold my ground. I'm pathetic, even tiny little Kyra could stand her ground, but I couldn't! Your mother died because I'm a damn coward!" Hannes yelled out crying.

Eren's eyes widened as tears fell down his face. Hannes sobbed before standing up and grabbing both Mikasa and Eren's hands as Kyra followed. "I'm sorry." Hannes apologized.

Kyra looked up at the sky as embers flew in to the air with smoke. They had boarded the boat and sat down as others screamed in terror, trying to escape.

When will it end. This prison, this hell, just when will it end? Is it ever going to end? Will I ever be free?

...

So-called Outlier Districts like Shiganshina jut out like thorns at vital spots along Wall Maria. Their basic function is to streamline troop dispersal and keep security costs down by drawing Titans into specific areas.

The calculated design flaw in all Outlier Districts is that they have only a single gate through which its citizens are able to retreat deeper inward should the need arise.

...

Kyra glanced up from the boat only to spot a large Titan. This was the second Titan to appear that day that were unlike the rest. These two seemed to have a cognitive thinking, intelligence so to speak.

Kyra watched as the Titan with skin of armor bent down before charging at the gate of Wall Maria.

The gate had been breached as Titans started to pour in. The crowds panicked and cried, trembling in fear. It was pure pandemonium.

...

Bad news travels fast. Hours after Shiganshina fell, every man, woman, and child within the Interior knew the unthinkable had come to pass. Terror spread like wildfire.

...

"That's it. We're all dead." A man cried out.