XIII

After setting forth to establish a route to Shiganshina, the Scout Regiment encountered a Female Titan seemingly possessed of sharp, cold-hearted intelligence.

As soldier upon soldier fell to this new foe, the regiment retreated into a forest of massive trees. Though to what purpose, no one appeared to know besides a few.

...

"So that was the plan from the start? We weren't flying by the seat of our pants? Look, I'm not complaining. I get keeping it from me. But, come on! Keeping
you guys in the dark? You'd think you'd earned a little more trust than that, right?" Eren questioned.

"Damn, you're annoying." Oruo grunted out.

"I hope you're not suggesting the captain kept the plan from us because he thinks we're a liability!" Petra exclaimed.

"I'm sorry, but I am! There's just no other way it makes sense!" Eren said.

"Enough of this! Petra! Knock the teeth out of his skull!" Oruo demanded.

"Look, I hate to say it, but he's got a point." Eld said.

"Huh?"

"For being as supposedly instrumental to the plan as we were, the captain didn't give us much to go on." Eld pressed further in his explanation.

"So, what?" Gunther questioned.

"That means he doesn't trust us. Kind of a big deal. C'mon, you guys. Think about it. Maybe Eren isn't the only one who can change. Maybe someone in the regiment's a Titan spy." Eld explained.

"A spy? Are you sure about that?" Gunther asked.

"Well, no. But I'm sure the commander believes it. He'd have to. And I'll wager you anything the only people in the know on this were the survivors from five years ago." Eld said.

"Of course. That's got to be it." Gunther agreed.

"I concur whole-heartedly. Hear that, Snivel-drop? There was a good reason." Oruo agreed.

"Right. Yes. A perfectly good reason. It adds up. After all, in their position, it's the best way of narrowing down the list of suspects to a manageable number. Shiganshina's probably when the spy got in." Petra commented.

"So, you think this person's responsible for killing Sawney and Beane?" Eld asked.

"Possibly. In fact, after it happened, the commander asked me this odd question." Petra added.

"So that's what he meant. Of course." Eren said in realization.

"If we'd known the answer to that question, he probably would've let us in on what was happening today. Though, then again, I really don't think any of us could've." Eld said.

"Speak for yourself, my friend. I knew. I just decided to keep my own counsel. Doubtless you appreciate the reason for my silence." Oruo said smugly.

"Which would be?" Petra asked.

"Oh, come now. Surely you all know? Dear oh dear. Perhaps I've said too much already. Well, one day, when you've reached my level of expertise..." Oruo said

"Look, we all get that you like to pretend you're Captain Levi. But that's not how he sounds." Petra pointed out.

Kyra sighed dropping to their branch.

"Eld, you're correct. If you must know it had to do with the question Commander Erwin asked. Had you answered it accordingly you would've known of the plan. Truth is what everyone was told besides a few including the Captain and myself was a ploy. We knew that whoever it was, they would be after you, Eren. However, no one expected her to be after me. Which is why I'm still here. You need to understand Eren that despite the most obvious enemies we face, there are still threats that come in the most unsuspecting ways. That Female Titan... She's just like you. Meaning she is a human that can transform into a Titan much like yourself. This is the person who killed Sawney and Beane. The layout of the plan had one major discrepancy on purpose. The exact location where you would be Eren. The Female Titan had come from the right-wing originally. Meaning she had recieved information from someone within the Scouts who knew the plan or at least that's what they thought. So there is a spy. I'm telling this to you all now, because I believe that none of you are that spy. In fact I believe the spy to be someone among the new cadets." Kyra explained causing the rest of the group to gasps.