XLVI

Kyra walked down the stairs leading to an underground dwelling. She held a bag in her hands as she continued forward across the dimly lit room.

Her eyes focused on the object chained in front of her...well more like a person cocooned in a crystal.

"I'm back, Annie." Kyra said stoically observing how the girl hasn't seemed to age a bit in her secure prison she willing surrounded herself in.

Kyra sat down on the ground relaxing in solemn silence that peacefully filled the dwelling.

"Lucky you, you get me for a whole 2 hours. Please curb your enthusiasm. I know your jumping for joy just as much as I am." Kyra said sarcastically.

"You know sometimes, I wonder where I would be if my father never made me promise to live and fight. Would I still be here today if he hadn't? I--probably not. I probably wouldn't have even met you. Not even Eren, Armin, or Mikasa. I probably would've took the first chance I had to end it all. It's weird that for so long I wanted to die. When you swatted me away in that forest, I wasn't angry or hurt...I was relieved, to be honest. I thought that was the end and I was eagerly waiting for death to welcome me." Kyra said dully as her eyes darkened.

"I mean, can one necessarily blame me for such thoughts? Can you blame me, Annie? I watched everything get stripped from me by malicious humans. A piece of me was brutally torn off my being everytime I watched a Drosera die. In many ways, the night I became the last one standing among the bloodshed and carnage...there wasn't a person standing... it was just an empty vessel that's been hollowed out by the cruelty of humanity. In many aspects, I think the Droseras have been extinct since that night, all those years ago. I just share similar resemblance and abilities like them. A pathetic excuse for something the world refused to let die off. Does that make the slightest bit of sense?" Kyra pondered out.

"Maybe that's why I'm unapproachable... people just don't understand me. I don't think I'm scary looking? Eh, who knows, maybe I am. That's why they stare at me from a distance. Afraid their eyes will deteriorate if they get any closer. Hm, it's possible." Kyra theorized with a shrug.

"Do you ever wonder how humanity would be if everything was just simply explained. Everything laid out all on the table in front of us. No unknowns. That everything had a logical reason and was soundly irrefutable. Eh, sounds boring, doesn't it? Knowing everything and the solutions to every problem, it wouldn't be much of a challenge would it. But would that squander conflict before it even started? Would that prevent bloodshed and war? I doubt it...humans by nature are selfish and greedy. Everyone wants something they can't have and that creates jealousy and envy. And that constant state of longing and envy creates resentment and anger which leads to hate. And that hate bears witness to war and violence. It is because of the nature of humans that we are unable to move forward past conflict as an entire species." Kyra stated resting her head on her hand.

"Sometimes, I think about who I would be as a person if my clan was still living, even if it was just my family that survived. Who would I be as a person? Would I still have the same view on the world as I do now?" Kyra continued.

"Would I be more optimistic and bubbly? I used to always find myself watching families from my spot in an alley. Just watching them interacting and how genuinely happy they seemed. They were completely ignorant about the world...ignorant about what was happening right before their eyes. To happy to look up and notice a little girl struggling to survive. I always tried to imagine what life would be like if my family was still around. And then I would compare to how different the illusion and the truth were. Hey Annie, you think that maybe when you wake up you can tell me what's it like growing up with a family? What it's like to have a father? Like did he try to embarrass you like some of the fathers I've seen do? From what I remember my father was a kind-hearted man. He was very respected by everyone. He was gentle and loved to smile and laugh. I think if he was still around I know he would make it his hobby to embarrass me. The same with my older brother, he would probably antagonize me to no end. Oh well, it's not like I'll ever know, huh? It's not like the dead can speak and if they can I would probably never get any peace and quiet." Kyra said shaking her head at the thought.