XVI

The walls stood for a century. A bastion of peace and security. Gone was the terror of living at their mercy. Mankind had acclimated to living like cattle.

Then...

The Titans breached what we'd long taken for granted. The fight for humanity's survival began. Death reigned, claiming soldiers and civilians alike. The casualties were staggering. Staggering, too, was the hard-won knowledge that Titans were hiding among our own.

Five years after the first wall fell, we successfully captured one of these treacherous creatures alive. A fellow soldier. Annie Leonhart.

And yet,even as the smoke of battle cleared, the next threat was already close at hand.

...

Kyra sat in a wagon as they prepared to leave. She sat next to Mikasa

"Great. Somebody explain to me what this means." Eren huffed out.

"I don't know. But they're Titans, right Would they break a wall with Titans in it?" Armin said.

Kyra glanced over, "If the Colossal and Armored Titan back in Shiganshina were like Eren, then theoretically yes, they could. They moved with purpose and intention back then. They had a motive or goal they needed to achieve. By no means was this a reckless or haphazardly carried out." Kyra mentioned.

"She's right. Wouldn't be the first time. It's how they got into Shiganshina." Eren agreed.

"Fall in!" A soldier shouted.

"That was a gate." Armin said causing Kyra to scoff.

"Armin. What exactly are you getting at?" Mikasa questioned.

"The walls are different. There are no signs of stress, no cracks, no crevices between the rocks. We can't even really tell how they were constructed. Suppose they're built with the same stuff Annie's trapped herself in?" Armin theorized.

Mikasa and Eren gasped.

"Must be versatile material, and we know it's virtually indestructible." Armin commented.

"So the walls are made of Titans?" Eren asked

"I can't argue with what your purposing. But, we discovered that the Walls aren't entirely invincible. Annie was able to carve into the wall just by hardening her appendages. Who's not to say the wall will be able to hold up if she or any of the other ones out there could harden their entire body. It would be a devastating and an unforeseeable blow to humanity, most likely squandering any chance to recover, thus our extinction as a whole." Kyra stated stoically.

"Sorry to keep you waiting. Took longer to prepare than I thought." Hange said coming up to the wagon with a friend in tow. Gasps rang out as Kyra eyed the priest.

"He's, uh. He's a priest from the Order of the Walls."

"I know! Ol' Nick and me are thick as thieves!" Hange said laughing.

"It's fine. Makes about as much sense for him to be here as the rest of us, don't'cha think? We're random." Hange continued.

"No, on the contrary. Erwin's thrown us
together for a reason." Captain Levi said stoically.

Eren turned glancing at Kyra. "Wait, what are you getting at earlier, Ky?" Eren asked remembering her previous words.

Kyra sighed glancing up at the night sky before glancing to Eren, "Think about it, Eren. They have made it clear that they are after us. We may not know the reason exactly, but it is entirely possible that they have another motive. Based on past events, they moved with a purpose long before they discovered you or I. And in both instances the death toll was staggering and devastating. They knew damn well what would happen before they even acted. They wanted that. Look it may be a stretch, damn near uncomprehensible at that, but they're pushing for our extinction. They want to anhilate everyone within these walls." Kyra theorized.