III

In the year 845, two terrifying new breeds of Titan appeared: the Colossal and the Armored, barreling through the outer walls as if wholesale destruction was child's play.

In blood and thunder, our way of life ended; the Titans fed their hunger for human flesh unchecked. The territory couched within the circle of Wall Maria was abandoned.

Twenty percent of the human race perished. As the Titan onslaught advanced, our only choice was to withdraw behind Wall Rose.

...

"Pick up the pace, you lead-heeled laggards!" Comandant Sadies yelled out from a horse as the cadets ran through mud and pouring rain, adorned in rain gear and carrying equipment for necessary survival.

Kyra remained in front, her breathing calm as she continued to run through the thick paste like mud.

"Your boots water-logged, Arlelt? Let's see some hustle! Gear too heavy for you, son? Hell, drop it! Leave it in the mud! The Titans'll have easier work digesting you without all the excess baggage." The man yelled with a bellow over the pouring rain and the clacking of the horse.

Reiner Braun. The mind and
constitution of a grass-fed ox. Respected
by his comrades.

Armin Arlelt. Built like a daffodil,
but academically brilliant.

It was time to practice in the woods with ODM gear on dummy Titans. Kyra watched as Annie, Bertholdt, and Jean sliced at the neck.

Annie Leonhart. Gifted with a sword, but does not exactly play well with others.

Bertholdt Hoover. Heaps of native talent, but too mild-mannered.

Jean Kirschtein. Head of the class on ODM; also an insufferable smartass with a hair-trigger temper.

Jean moved faster taking the lead only for Connie to pop out of the trees and prepare to take the slice. "Way to lead the charge!You don't care if I steal your thunder, right?" Connie yelled out only to gasp in shock as Sasha sliced through it before he could.

"Yeah-ah! Woo hoo!" She screamed dangling from the trees.

Sasha Braus. Unusually fine instincts. Rarely shares them with her teammates.

Connie Springer. Agile on the switchbacks. Few sandwiches shy of a picnic.

Mikasa moved through the trees slicing through two of the necks as Eren followed.

Mikasa Ackermann. Model cadet. Excels in everything. In fact, it's no overstatement to call the girl a genius.

Eren Jaeger. Lackluster in the classroom, marginally better in the field. But, driven by a sense of purpose.

Kyra moved through the trees grappling a tree before flying past. She spun through the air twisting her body as she sliced into the padding before moving on.

Eren looked ahead at the figure. One look of the white hair braided into two buns and he knew who it was.

A loud thud could be heard as the wooden dummy's head fell clean off. She heard a shout of irritation from Eren. "Gah! Damn it, Ky! Save some for the rest of us! At least keep them standing with the head on!"

Sadies watched as Kyra rolled her eyes, shrugging. She latched on to a tree hanging upside down from a branch as the three were about to pass her. Her eyes stared dully with the three as they made eye contact with her. She turned back to glance at Eren with boredom.

"Then hustle your ass, Eren. Nothing's going to stop just because you want it to. Everything continues to move on and it's up to you to adapt or be left in the dust. So move!" She called out.