XXXIII

The two looked forward at the village that laid in shambles. Black scorch marks were evident on some of the buildings indicating that they had been burned. Debris cluttered the path from building collapsing.

Other buildings had collapsed long ago while others were barely hanging on by the splintered wood that had at one point stood intact and strong.

But all the damage done showed signs of man-made destruction compared to that of Titans. And that was more disheartening.

Kyra walked silently along the path stepping over splintered wood, glass, stone, and other rubble as Levi followed alongside her looking at the damage.

Kyra walked forward before her toe hit something. She glanced down before bending down and noticing a small blue blanket. She pulled it out examing it before her eyes closed for a second.

It was the blanket that belonged to her baby brother, the one she had always seen him curled up in and clutching with tiny hands. She exhaled softly before dropping it and continuing forward.

Levi and her checked multiple buildings finding nothing even remotely salvageable. "It's likely that anything of valuable was taken when they came." Kyra said as she continued walking.

"Yeah, that looks to be the case." He replied glancing over to see Kyra had stopped. Her fingers gently caressed a tapestry before she continued moving forward.

...

Hange and the others had got their stuff together before riding on horseback, heading off the beach and in the direction that Kyra had ran off.

Hange held the reins for Levi's horse as Mikasa held Kyra's. "Are you sure it's this way?" Jean asked.

"Yes, she headed that way. So if we continue on this path then we'll find her." Hange informed.

They moved up a hill only to stop with wide eyes. The sight was haunting yet it held beauty. Vines had wrapped around stone completely overgrown. And flowers had bloomed through debris making the village look elegantly ancient, almost sacred. It was ethereal.

"This must be it." Hange said walking forward as she looked around as the others followed.

"Ignoring all the damage, it's breathtaking. I wonder what it looked like before this." Armin commented as Mikasa nodded.

"I bet it was very peaceful." Connie said in awe.

Their eyes swept through the damage as they slowly made their way through the village.

...

"That's the last of it." Levi said glancing at Kyra as she looked to the side.

"No, there's one more place. I'd like to check." Kyra said softly.

"Lead the way." Levi said.

Kyra walked forward as he followed behind her.

Kyra followed stone pavers that formed a path. A field of wildflowers flourished in a meadow. The path led up another hill that overlooked the meadow. From the side the village could be seen along with the trees surrounding a portion of it.

On top of the hill sat a house still intact with vines growing around the stones budding with flowers. Kyra's eyes widened at the sight. Behind the house you could see the view of the blue sea.

The sight was absolutely breath-taking. The sounds of the sea was calming as the waves rolled ashore.

Kyra turned back to the house before walking inside. Everything had been left undestroyed. It was just like she remembered.