XVII

Kyra sat with her feet dangling off the wall. She looked up at the sky letting the rain hit her face.

"You've clearly seen better days, Reiner. Don't tell me you're getting rusty." Kyra said with a tease.

Reiner exhaled before grunting,

"Son of bitch." He cursed.

"You okay over there, Reiner?" Eren asked in concern.

"Not by a long shot. Titan almost gnawed my arm off. Pathetic. All I could think was this is how I go." Reiner said in disappointment.

"What else you s'posed to think at time like that? You're only human." Eren reassured.

Kyra helped pull Armin up, "Care to join the pity club?" She asked sarcastically to Armin causing him to chuckle lightly.

"Don't you get it? This was my second time! Armin! Remember?" Reiner said.

"Huh?" Armin questioned.

"Go on! Tell him how Annie nearly crushed me like an insect!" Reiner exclaimed.

"Yeah." Armin vouched.

"That's twice I've nearly died now. What are the chances I'll survive a third time?" Reiner questioned.

"The same as the first and second chances as well as any other chances in the future." Kyra said as she opened her eyes glancing back at Reiner.

"As for nearly escaping the jaws of death, well just consider that as dumb luck." Kyra said.

"This is what it really means. What it is to be soldier. Your spirit breaks and the body follows. Eh. No good whining about it now. 'Least not till we can plug up the wall." Reiner rambled.

"That's true. The two of you have been driven far enough away from your hometown as it is." Eren stated causing Reiner to gasp.

"--This is it. This is where we draw the line." Eren said determined.

"Truer words were never spoken! Home! Let's go! We've been here long enough! Compared to everything else we've had to go through, the rest is easy!" Bertholdt exclaimed.

"You're right. We don't have much further to go before it's done!" Reiner exclaimed.

Kyra narrowed her eyes, "And you lost me. Has madness kicked in with you two?"

"Yeah. What are guys talking about?" Eren asked.

"I needed that. Thanks." Reiner said.

The group gathered as Hannes climbed up the wall. "Wall's perfectly fine."

"What?" Eren asked.

"Spent all night trying to find out where they're getting in. But between Trost and Krolva District, there's nothing. No hole anywhere." Hannes informed.

"That's impossible!" Hange said in disbelief.

"We ran into a search party from Krolva and retraced our steps. Not a single Titan on the way here either." Hannes informed further.

"But we know for a fact that there are Titans on this side of Wall Rose." Armin said.

"Oh, C'mon. How much have you had to drink, seriously?" Eren asked.

"Why you little!" Hannes exclaimed.

"He's sober." Kyra stated dully.

"See? Tell him Little Ky!" Hannes exclaimed.

"Little Ky? Heh. Cute." Reiner said with a chuckle.

Kyra blinked, "On second thought he's drunk, total boozer."