LXIX

Steam bellowed around, engulfing the land with skeletons of massive Titans lay decaying on the ground as Armin opened his eyes, staring at the sky in a daze.

"Armin." Mikasa calls out through tears.

Slowly getting up, he sees Mikasa walking towards him and seeing a sight that had him shouting and crying.

Those who fought valliantly rested on the ground in exhaustion as some regained suppressed memories of discussions with Eren.

Levi rested against a rock, having caught Kyra's body before she could fall from Falco as he stared out through the smoke, his hand nestled in white locks of hair.

"Well...look who showed up. Were you watching? It would seem that this is it. This is what we did with the hearts you gave." Levi said, saluting as he stared at all his fallen comerades, including his old squad and Erwin.

He pressed his lips together tightly as tears fell from his eye, and a gust of wind made them vanish back into thin air.

He gritted his teeth as he looked down at the beautiful white-haired woman that laid rigorous in his arms. He clutched onto her tighter, bringing her body closer to his.

"We did it... Kyra! I hope you can rest easy knowing that some of humanity has been saved." His voice wavered in heartache, knowing he would only be rewarded in silence. And reality weighed on him that he was alone again.

"I'm sorry. You always seem to be protecting everyone, but yourself. And this time is no different. It looks like you're finally free, Kyra. But I would be lying if I said that this loss doesn't hurt the most. Because losing you is crushing me more than any I've experienced. I was hoping that this time would be different." Levi stated sullenly, gently brushing white hair off her forehead before bringing his lips to her forehead and holding her tightly as another tear fell.

...

"Levi?" A voice questioned out after taking a few heartfelt moments saying goodbye to her fallen comerades before searching for the man.

After a few minutes, Hange finally spotted Levi before her eyes widened, and a painful sob of agony left her mouth seeing the body that rested still in Levi's arms.

"Kyra! No!" Immediately rushing to the two and kneeling beside Levi, who kept her in his arms. Hange winced as she grabbed the cold hand, causing a sob to leave her lips, getting the answer she wasn't hoping for. Her heart was aching even more, especially for the man who clutched on to her like his life depended on it.

Hange's sobs of anguish caught the attention of those around the two and caused them to quickly move to her in fear of her being injured or trapped.

"Hange?! Are you okay?" Jean questioned out with a shout only to grow quiet in shook as his eyes widened with tears filling his eyes.

"No-i-it can't be..." Jean muttered in disbelief as Connie and Reiner grew sullen in tears.

"Ky-ra...?" Connie trailed off, finally knowing what happened after they were turned.

Levi gave a heavy sigh as he set her body down on the ground as those who fought alongside them surrounded her corpse grieving.

Though the war ended and the battle soon rang out with cheers of relief and looks of confusion, a solemn silence filled the group of foes turned allies as they remembered all those they lost. And for most, one hit harder than others.

Mikasa and Armin approached the group before their eyes widened, and Armin ran to the body screaming in horror as he clutched on to Kyra.

Mikasa set Eren down as tears fell from her eyes, already knowing that her cherished childhood friend was dead.