XII

"Go!"

...

In the year 850, humankind reclaimed lands from the Titans for the first time since their appearance some hundred-odd years before. The cost, however, was great.

One short month later, led by Erwin Smith,the Scout Regiment set out. Leaving the relative comfort and safety of Calaneth District, they sought to carve a route to Shiganshina, the place believed to hold the Titans' secrets.

...

Kyra sat on her horse next to Eren. They were located in the middle of the group for protection. Kyra stared dully ahead as Eren turned to smile at the children. Kyra glanced up at the wall and then to the sky.

"It's officially begun. The 57th Recon Mission! Scouts, move out!" Erwin yelled out as the Scouts began moving out on horseback.

The Scouts moved through the abandoned city, pressing forward on their journey. The city laid in ruins from Titans that had previously invaded.

"We've got a ten-meter closing in from the left! Gah! I want to know what's rolling around in that glorious belly! Never mind. Let the support squad do their job." Hange called out.

"They'll only have our backs 'til we're clear of the city ruins. Everything beyond that will be uninterrupted Titan territory. We'll be more or less on our own. The only thing to fall back on out there is Commander Erwin's long-range scouting formation. The special ops squad'll be positioned here." Gunther had informed pointing at a layout of the formation.

"Loaded question. Be straight with me. You think my friends have a shot at taking down a Titan?" Eren asked looking over to Oruo.

"Really? I should certainly hope so, otherwise what the hell have they been training for? Now listen, and listen well. Prepared or not, you're all Scouts, which means the time is nigh to choke back
those fears and--!" Oruo said only to scream in pain as he bit his tongue.

Kyra glanced over before rolling her eyes, "It seems you have that down pat." She muttered.

"Long-range formation. Let's go!" Erwin commanded.

"The long-range scouting formation is a
forward-facing semicircle. We'll be positioned relative to one another at equal intervals within view of signal fire on all sides. The idea is to extend our spotting and signal range as far as possible." Erwin explained to Kyra having picked up on her skill of intellect and inquisitive mind he decided to enlighten her on his thinking.

Kyra turned her head seeing green smoke signals to their right.

"Smoke signals. Green. Oruo, pass it on." Captain Levi ordered.

"With pleasure, sir!" Oruo replied firing the signal.

A man approached from the right. "Reporting, sir! An oral message! It appears the right-wing spotters have been wiped out! The early warning network is compromised. One of you will need to relay the message down the line." The man informed causing Eren to gasp at the news.

"You heard the man, Petra. Go on." Captain Levi ordered sternly.

"Sir!" Petra took off to the left.

Three gunshots rang out as black smoke trailed into the sky.

"Black smoke? An Abnormal!" Eren said in suprise.

"Eren. Fire the signal." Captain Levi ordered.

"Yes, sir."