LVII

The sun slowly began to set as warm tones blended into the surroundings mixing with the vibrant greens and reflecting peacefully against the waters reflection.

The peaceful sounds of nature was soon interrupted by gags as a man threw up in the river. Him and another man sat in the river covered in saliva as the sounds of more chaotic chatter could be heard ending any serenity the injured man once had.

He looked on dully at the loud bunch, it would be a lie to say that they weren't relieved at this reunion. Glad to see that these scouts who were mere children trained to fight and threw away any chance for a childhood for the sake of humanity within the walls. Practically raised with a weapon in their hands as they discovered what the world was truly like, now close to adults had survived.

That his squad of brats had survived based on what Jean had explained. The loss of his entire squad years ago was a crushing feeling, and the loss of his most lively and estatic subordinate had took its toll on not just him, but the others.

But what was to be expected when they are living in a world that is killed or be killed. No one can live a life of bloodshed and not expect to be killed in return.

"I ain't ever going in a Titan's mouth again." Jean said gagging.

"The Cart Titan can stay a Titan for months, right? Don't you brush your teeth?" Hange questioned more or less in curiosity rather then a condescending manner.

'That's a rude thing to ask a lady." The Cart Titan said.

"When did you partner with Marley?"

"Last night." Jean explained.

"Why? If you stayed a Jaegerist, you'd have everything you wanted."

"I wish I could've plugged my ears and stay cooped up in that room. But then, those ashy bones would never forgive me." Jean said as he looked down at the water stoically.

"Jean...I don't quite follow, but thanks." Onyonkapon said tearfully.

"Just wash off already." Jean said splashing water at the man's face as Yelena looked at the two from the side of the river bank.

"Why... me?" Yelena asked in confusion of why she was also saved.

"Securing you was part of the deal for us to borrow the Cart Titan's powers. They wanted you alive." Hange explained causing Yelena to look behind her and meet the eyes of General Magath who stared back at the woman.

Jean stood up getting out of the river as his eyes glanced over before widening seeing both Captain Levi and Kyra.

...

Night had fallen once again as enemies faced each other throwing glares their way. Jean, Connie, Armin, and Mikasa stood glaring at the Marleyans while Hange sat by a fire preparing a stew and Magath sat drinking a bottle of wine.

The injured still laid resting in peace, but it was clear that any peace was soon to fade if they wanted to make progress.

"Wanna stop glaring st each other and lend me a hand?" Hange asked with a potato in her hand about to cut it into bite size chunks.

"Sharing a meal with enemies of war, huh? I'm curious: What changed your mind? If you Eren succeed, you'll get your ideal world--a paradise for island devils. We would've stopped Eren and Zeke from coming into contact had you guys not helped them." Magath stated with hostility.

"I already explained, General. We don't wish for genocide. Otherwise, we wouldn't be hiding in the forest making stew." Hange stated.

"Finally found a sense of justice, huh?" Magath stated arrogantly.