XI

So that's why he asked that question to me earlier. It makes sense now.

Kyra was riding next to Captain Levi on horseback. They were currently riding back to the base. After being woken up early before dawn by Captain Levi. She had rode through to where Erwin was.

There he explained the real plan. The plan to draw out the person responsible. Draw out and capture. That was the reason behind his question. If you answered it correctly he made you aware of the plan.

It needed to be kept in secret so everything would go to plan and the plan being explained to the rest could remain decoy.

It is a brilliant ploy on his part. They arrived back at the base as a voice called out.

"Fall in!" Gunther called out.

"Make ready, people! We're going on patrol." Captain Levi said.

"Yes, sir!"

"Good morning, Captain! Reporting for duty!" Eren said saluting.

"Eren, you will stay within ten meters of me at all times. The only reason that you're out of your cell is because I'm keeping an eye on you. Understood?" Captain Levi questioned.

"Yes, sir!" Eren said.

"Let's ride! Hyah!" Levi ordered as they began riding.

....

Kyra glanced over as they once again explained to Eren the plan so he had it down pat. She looked back up at the sky only to feel a nudge to her shoulder.

Kyra glanced over before a horse's head nuzzled into her neck sniffing her before huffing. Such a needy horse. She glanced back up at the sky as she brought her hand to his face petting him.

"Such attitude." She muttered and as if he understood he gave another loud huff. Kyra sighed shaking her head.

She watched the shadows dance across the land as clouds passed by drifting freely in the wind.

Free...The name almost sounds foreign to me. Like something you hear in a dream, but you can't help but want to know what it is. What it's like? How does it feel?

And soon it seeps so far into your mind it becomes the only thing you can think about, all you desire. Something you are willing to die for...even if only to experience it for a moment.

Even if it's fleeting, you would risk everything to grasp it and hold it close like a mother does with a child.

Mother...the warmth and comfort of a mother. The nurture and unconditional love. The reassurance that everything is okay, that you're safe, that no matter what, she will protect you.

All things I've been robbed of. Never having an actual chance at experiencing those feelings.

Instead I live a life that garners death, pain, and suffering. It's become so habitual. Watching people die, people suffer, people starve with no one to turn to for help. With no one willing to help. Pathetic.

In the eyes of death, you're alone. No one stands in between the two. You die, alone. What the fuck am I thinking? How the hell did I go from cloud watching to this?

...

Kyra glanced up at the clouds, giving a soft sigh. They had gotten back to the stables and she was in charge of giving them food while Eren had a not so fun task of cleaning up horse shit. She had offered to switch with him, but the stubborn kid refused.