XXVII

Kyra walked next to her horse as lanterns lit their path under the darkness. She remained calm petting her horse.

"Let me take your horse." Armin said.

Kyra glanced at him, "It's okay, Armin. There's no need for that. He's walking without a lead just fine." Kyra said bringing a lantern up to show him that the lead was on the saddle.

"Wish my horse could do that." Eren muttered before turning to Mikasa.

"I'm sorry, you got stuck with my horse." Eren apologized to Mikasa.

"Don't worry about it. You should be saving your energy." Mikasa said.

"Yeah, I get it, but still." Eren tried to protest.

"Titan on the left." Kyra said quietly starting to hold her light up.

"She's right, Eren. We need you at your best." Connie said.

"Don't say his name, dumbass." Jean said quietly.

Kyra stopped walking as she raised her lantern. She glanced over stoically observing the Titan.

Connie gasped noticing his mistake, "Sorry, I forgot."

"Act as though we're surrounded by enemies. Always." Jean said before stopping next to Kyra.

"You mean like this one?" She asked jabbing her thumb in the Titan's direction.

"Titan on the left! Everyone halt! Light up the area!" Jean instructed.

"Jean, it's not nice to disrupt someone from their beauty sleep. God knows how much this one needs it." Kyra said clicking her tongue and shaking her head.

"Now's not the time for your jokes." Jean yelled out in a whisper.

Kyra sighed, "Relax." She said calmly.

"That's easier said then done." Jean retorted.

Kyra shrugged, "Sounds like a personal problem that you need to take up with a mirror."

"It's all right. Pretty sure he's asleep. Doesn't look like this is one of the new types that can move around at night." Hange said before chuckling.

"Well, isn't that a shame? Leave him be." Hange instructed.

The group continued walking as Hange sighed.

"I can't believe we had to get that close to notice the thing." Eren said.

"Yeah, I'm with you on that point. But it's worth it. The moonless night is protecting us. Light from the moon is really just reflected sunlight. And from what we can tell, that miniscule amount of reflected light is all that these new Titans need to move. It's good that we're using the new moon's cover. There's no guarantee that we won't have a repeat of before. For all we know, that sleeper might've been a moonlight Titan itself. Maybe we can capture one someday!" Hange said in excitement.

Kyra looked over before walking closer to Hange. "Listen, I didn't get to tell you this earlier. In the book, roughly 108 years ago. The only people who lived on this land was the Drosera Clan. And it was like that for over 5 hundred years. The year after people began arriving on the land. It wasn't just a few. It was a whole civilization. That's also the year when the wall was built. And shortly after another wall was built on the edge of the land at a beach. That's when the Titans started appearing. There were reports hearing the cries and screams of people near the wall just before the first one appeared. It's uncertain as to whether these reports are accurate in detail or time, but there was dozen accounts witnessing people on the wall before being dropped and then transforming into Titans. I also found another piece of information. It was written in the form of a code. After deciphering the code it spelled out R-U-M-B-L-I-N-G. Do you know what that means, Hange?" Kyra asked.