Chapter 57: It's been a year!

Fred's POV

It's winter, today's Christmas Eve and we still near the lake. The lake is frozen and it's growing colder and colder. As usual Ann was heating up the soup and Georgie was still asleep.

"Morning love!" I said standing next to her.

"Morning Freddie!" she said sitting down on the chair.

"How are you feeling!?" I asked her kneeling before her and holding her hand.

"I'm good! Okay!" she said resting her forehead against mine.

"Look I know we couldn't spend much time together after our wedding but we'll have plenty of time after the war!" I said holding her hand tighter.

"What are we doing now!?" she asked with a chuckle. "You are there with me now! That's all I want! It's the small things which matter most Freddie!"

"I love you!" I said almost in tears.

"I love you too Freddie!" she said. "You must see outside! It's so beautiful!"

"It's freezing outside!" I said.

"Not if you wear a coat!" she said pointing at them. She had kept them ready for me and Georgie.

"How did you get all this!?" I asked completely surprised.

"I had just grabbed a few...It was dad's...which I hope will fit you!" she said.

"Oh it will alright! But I am not wearing your dad's!" I said.

"Shut up and wear them!" she said. I wore them and we went out.
It was truly beautiful. The winter sun, the frozen lake, the trees, the snow!

"It's beautiful!" I said as we sat down together.

"It's just how I remember it! It's still the same! It's strange you know! You never know how things change...but now I look back and see everything was completely different!" she said. I kept quiet, just held her hand and we sat looking around.

"When did you come here!?" I asked her.

"It was during the Christmas holidays, second year! We came here! We were ice-skating! Dad taught me!" she said happily.

"Ice skating? Wanna show me how!?" I asked with a smile.

"I would you know! Looking at this I too want to but unfortunately I don't have my skates! Dad would do it without skates...but I couldn't!" she said.

"It's okay! Forget about it!" I said. But I still couldn't understand why she didn't tell me about Scabior.
"Ann...I know you don't want to talk about it but why didn't you tell me!?" I asked her. She took a deep breathe.

"I was scared I guess...of what you might say or think...I don't know I was scared!" she said. "So...when do you think we can go back home!?" she asked.

"I don't know! I am clueless!" I said.

"We could go to a different place you know! It's too cold here! And I don't have much things to keep us warm!" she said.

"As long as you are with me I am fine!" I said.

"It's okay for us Freddie!" she said with a chuckle "But what about Georgie!? I don't think he is able to put up with this cold with only a coat!"

"Yeah that's true!" I said.

"Besides we have stayed here for a long time!" she said.

"Yeah okay!" I said.
Then she began humming the tune of the song her parents used to sing to her. And so did I. I had listened to that song so many times that it wouldn't leave my mind.