Chapter 6

Lillian's POV

My alarm goes off and I wake up in an empty king sized bed that was cold, but there was a tray of breakfast and a hand written note from Kent. I guess I can't be mad.

I have work, you know... the usual. Enjoy breakfast!

- Kent

I smiled and could smell his cologne from the note he left. He has always been the charming type.

I'll treat myself to breakfast in bed and shower up to fix something to eat for Stefani. I'm sure she won't be up anytime soon since she stayed up all night with Rachel.

I poured the dark golden liquid over a plate of pancakes that were still hot and dabbed my knife in a small serving of butter. They were crisp but fluffy in between the outer layers altogether. An odd combination but it was the perfect one. I was taken aback by the taste of salt in my butter but I practically moaned as the balance of salt and sweetness plays out on my tastebuds.

I was skeptical about the coffee, it looked black, yet- it smelled somewhat sweet.

"Oh that's bold," I took a sip and the strength of the coffee beans overpowered the buttery goodness of the pancakes. It was actually a perfect balance altogether.

Kent, I'm impressed. This is coming from a woman who was raised to cook as a basic life skill. I gently rubbed the crust out my eyes and made my ways towards the bathroom.

It was already occupied so I remained outside wrapped up in my robe. I doubt Stefani would be okay with me taking a shower right next to her using the other shower head. She can barely stand me being in her presence no longer than- yesterday was fifteen minutes. The day before that was ten.

Baby steps.

I couldn't help but go back to that one moment. That one brief moment in time. It was less than ten seconds where Stefani lingered around the hall and we made direct eye contact. The same look we shared the first time I saw her. The real her- or I think. I might be pushing it.

A blaze of steam of congests me as a woman wrapped in an emerald green towel steps out with her braids wrapped loosely in a bun and just one lock hanging down from the side.. her skin glistened like mocha and caramel.

"Good morning- ahem," Stefani clears her throat as she stood before me and I was enduring too many thoughts running through my head but my mind was blank altogether.

"R-right," I pulled myself together and stepped to the side.

I nervously laughed when Stefani stepped to the side as well and we were still in front of eachother. She remained emotionless and decided to step to the other side. I thought I'd help make room if I step to the side as well but were still in front of eachother.

"Just- here," Stefani has a firm yet gentle grip on my shoulders and made me step to one side of the hallway so she could walk through the opposite.

"S-sorry!" I was embarrassed how that went. I honestly couldn't tell if it was the steam from Stefani's shower or how hard I was blushing. But I was definitely feeling overwhelmed.

Out the corner of my eye, I caught a tattoo of two koi fish circling one another forming the yin yang symbol..

Stefani catches me staring down the hall and she grips the brim of her towel tightly with a look that I couldn't quite describe. We held a gaze and her lips curved- not in a smiling sense, but it was in a way to let me know she's present... and fully aware of me looking.