65

Stefani's POV

This was by far the least expectation I had of Lillian.

"Uh- lillian, I did say I'm the one paying for that ring," I pointed at her hand and she was so out of it, her eyes stared into oblivion pale as ever as she take her other hand to feel the engagement ring.

She's gonna have a moment...

"What's the cut?" Her voice trembled.

"Pear cut," I simply said.

"Is the band a multi blended braid or-

"That is a rose gold and 24karat blend to make a braided band 0.25ct in between the loops and a 1.75ct pear cut diamond in the center. You haven't seen the wedding band, but Lillian, a ring such as yours doesn't just get picked..." I started telling the truth.

"Y-you made it. It's custom..." her voice trembled.

"I-I thought that you should know. I didn't think much of it then but now-

"Did he tell you to keep this from me? How long did this take?" Her eyes pleaded for more information.

"I've never met you, I've only heard about you. Before he told me about the engagement he, told me he had been seeing you for some time and things had been looking very promising," I started.

"That was also when the prediction of this year's sales in all departments came in and he was swamped- not to be salty but he should've listened to me...." I got side barred and cleared my throat.

"He didn't have time..." she adds in.

"He didn't have time to go pick an engagement ring for me so he gave you all the information he had on me to you and you-

Lillian was tearing up and I didn't know what to do- I mean, I didn't want to have this conversation at all but hell. If I'm actually gonna be with the woman, I have to tell the truth. I don't like seeing her like this- torn apart. I wanted to protect her from the bastard. Am I even-

"And you put together the most beautiful thing my hands have come across," she bursted into tears.

My eyes were stinging the hell out of me but no tears would dare form. This tight feeling in my chest was like I'm a towel being rung dry with each twist and turn.

"I-I'm sorry..." I muttered.

"No, Stefani! I just- I just wanna know... what were you thinking when you designed the ring?" Her eyes practically glittered in what was left of a mere sunset.

"Pear cut for the center piece of course," I softly scoffed as I pulled her in for her head to rest underneath my chin and I held her.

"He told me you used to serve in the military for some time studying medicine as a medic. After you served your term you worked at a children's hospital. A pear cut diamond is elegant, dainty, sharp and feminine," I gave her a gist of what was going on in my mind before telling her the raw truth.

"You're divinity is the arousal every sin a person yields. The sharp edge of it was to show that no matter which direction you choose, your drive perseveres into a mirage of light- something warm.." I cooed and she nudged.

"You're talking about how the light refracts inside the diamond," Lillian quietly sniffles.

"No, I'm talking about you. The ring is just a mere representation of you- air head," i softly chuckled and I could tell Lillian was giggling.

"For instance, the band on the ring; there's seven smaller diamonds in between the bands and are evenly spaced out. Not to jab the knife deeper than where it already is but, for seven diamonds, I was able to come up with seven adjectives; you're forgiving... I'm not sure how you and my dad came about but he's a shit man to think he deserves you- therefore yore forgiving. You're bright, even after serving you still decided to help save lives. You're open minded to see beyond my dad for wealth. Which also makes you pure for seeing the best in others. And it brings in to the conclusion that you're tainted with pain but you still choose to be peaceful with those you love...  and but not least, you're cosmic. You are beyond what words could describe," I kissed the woman on the head who's damned me of almost everything I believed in when I first met her on that boat.

I'm no where near the same person I was so many months ago. Lillian didn't just rub off on me, she's consumed me and I'm an entirely different person- or am I?

What if I've always been like this- that I just needed the right one.

"Stef-

"Oh- there's no meaning between the rose gold, white gold and 24k gold braid. I honestly couldn't decide which of the three but I really liked the profile my dad gave of you compared to all his previous fiancé's and wives so I splurged out," I chuckled.

"Stefani," Lillian sat up and her skin glowed from the fire place as her eyes searched mine.

"Im right here you know," I scoffed, but it was friendly one I promise.

It's a bad habit.

"I- I can't marry him," she carefully spoke her words and her eyes widened acknowledging that even said them.

"I mean- if you want a really good reason to not-

"No, I can't marry a man who isn't in love with me as much his daughter," she whispered carelessly as her arms flung around my neck and she kissed me hard.

As if I'm the only source of water on a desert, Lillian's hands run the back of my neck as she wanted to feel more of me. I had to be the sensible one here and pull back to take one careful look at her.

Her messy hair, slightly smudged and runny makeup. That cute shiny nose.. those damn blue eyes.

"In order for us to work, we have to work together for what we want- if I'm what you want and you're what I want, this should be no challenge," I stroked her cheek and wiped a tear.

"Stefani, cut to the chase," Lillian growled but her lips begged nicely.

"All cards have to be on the table, I still have more to tell you-

"It can wait. Fuck the cards. I just wish I had met you sooner," her lips crashed into mine for one more moment in time..

I didn't know whether to challenge her thoughts or not, but I figure for tonight, I should just let take the lead. I've put a lot on her about the engagement ring.

"This is better than the pent house," she spoke again.

"Well considering we're away from all the pollution-

"No, you smart ass," Lillian cuts me off with a snarky tone.

I was taken aback as I looked her up and down and she broke into a light laugh gently shoving me. Her livelihood dies down again as nestles under my chin again and sighs dreamily.

"It actually feels like a home," I felt hands laced into mine as we look across to see the city side of New York...

"Okay but I picked this spot to be away from people, look at that plane over there- can't even maintain the same level for more than ten seconds. What's the possibility of it crashing into a new skyscraper- do we even need anymore skyscrapers?" I pointed out making Lillian laugh.

"You know exactly what I meant," Lillian couldn't help herself.

"Yeah, I know," I shut her up with my lips on her and she melts a moan onto my tongue- one I couldn't possibly keep myself bay with..

AN: I honestly don't have any words right now😭 like- what did you guys think???