Chapter 23

Lillian's POV

So my fiancé's future lies in the hands of his daughter- which she cluelessly knows about.. not even that, I'm glad we got most of everyone's problems solved- or at least I think we did.. Stefani has a car now, she's decided to go to college- I'm excited as well. Kent talked to Stefani about not selling the family's stock so he doesn't go bankrupt. I mean- he never said that Stefani couldn't miss her mom, so I guess that's a win...

..but my problem still remains: Stefani. This all started because I got curious and went and snooped around on her laptop.

Tsk, it was because I had realized that it's been Stefani who's been cooking my breakfasts when I first moved here and not Kent!

I can't believe I forgot that- I mean with all the yelling about money, of course I'd forget. I have the slightest clue about the business world.

...she made the impression that Kent cooked for me, I still want to know why.

He's not even here when I wake up in the mornings.

Stefani's mini crisis the other night struck a nerve with me, one that I didn't expect. All those things she said about how she wanted to spend her life. She's nineteen and so young, but that glimmer in her eye tells me she's figured it out. I wish Kent would consider the things she's trying achieve. She wants to share her financial freedoms with someone, I think that's admirable...

It's late in the morning, I need to go shower and all I've done was think about my step daughter.

I was walking down the hall and I could feel the steam from the bathroom on the wooden floors..

Her scent.

She smells dainty and expensive.

And just like that, she steps out the bathroom with a sage green towel wrapped around her body and her dark brown eyes went for the view of the City of New York and the docks at her feet.

Her eyes fluttered before looking away and locked into mine. It was like she was searching for something.

"Morning..." she replied and this time she looks rested and refreshed.

"Hey," i softly spoke as she walked down the hall across the living room to her bedroom and her door shut.

I need to stop checking her out in the mornings- in general, I need to stop checking her out in general.

If every morning ends up repeating itself like this, I don't think I could get used to it..

A glimpse of her koi fish tattoo catches my and I was thrown off when Stefani lets her braids out of her bun and shakes them a loose.

"Don't tell dad," she eyed me with a soft but warning look.

"I- I won't," I was beyond baffled.

"Uh- Stefani?" I broke out with little courage.

She didn't respond, she just turned around with her eyes attentive as she approached me. I could feel the heat from her skin and the soft glisten it gave.. The way she stands over me knowing she's taller, I don't know..

"Y-you cooked me breakfast- a-and made it seem like it was Kent.. why?" I was too scared to even look her in the eye. Embarrassed. I don't even know why.

A heavy sigh caught my ears and she clicked her tongue as her nails tapped the wall until it came to a complete stop.

"That is a fairly concerning question to have, look at me when I give my response? It's important you take this seriously because I am taking you seriously too," she crosses her arms and leaned on the walls.

"In all honesty, I don't know. Rachel, that night, told me I should give you a chance. She wasn't clear on what kind of chance, so I went the motherly bonding route and made you my favorite breakfast my mom made me... I still consider it my favorite," Stefani had a soft laugh and smile whenever she spoke about her mother. It was clear her mom has made the biggest impact on her life.

"What was the chance you thought she had in mind?" I reached out for her for god knows what reason.. she's fresh out the shower and wrapped in a towel.

Stefani's eyes stared at my engagement ring as my hand touched her forearm that was still damp. Her dark brown eyes didn't glare, but they were attentive as they looked into my eyes and I felt hot and tingly all over. I wanted to pull away, but I wanted to see what would happen.

"I shouldn't say," she replied plainly.

I could feel the excitement in my body die down for some reason- it's good it did anyway, I shouldn't even be thinking like this with Stefani- hell, I'm not thinking at all. I'm just- to hell with it.

"...something tells me you already know," she forces herself off the wall and walks away from me.

"I want to hear it," I softly mumbled and reached for her forearm and pulled her towards me.

"Well, aren't we bonding?" Stefani's eyes rolled to the back of her head as she flutters her lashes me.

"Stefani," I demanded.

"I'm right here, you know," she looks at her nails uninterested before looking at me.

"I want you to hear you say it," I spoke softly. I was scared- a nervous wreck.

What if there is some sort of attraction between me and Stefani and not the motherly love kind? But what if it's all in my head? But the way she tied my apron the other day- this is literally all I have to go on: her tying the back of my apron. What if it's me? What if I'm imagining all of this shit- but no she just told me she knows what I'm talking about a second ago-

"...it..." Stefani teased and walked off laughing.

I swear to god.

"I don't think it's appropriate to ask your fiancé's daughter if there's some sort of lustful attraction between the two of you. A more appropriate question would be 'is there anything you had in mind for breakfast?'" Stefani's eyes danced in mines as she turns slightly to face me with her side profile and she had a smirk as she turned the corner.

A/N: i honestly like how this is going.