76

Lillian's POV

I'm not sure why Stefani won't sleep in her bed, she's really stubborn in her own little way. Not that refused to sleep in it; she stayed up all night on her laptop saying the company is in worse shape than it actually is.

I really want her to rest.

"If you're going to keep working, you might as well take a break and talk about why you didn't tell the girls the truth and why you gave the impression that you're at fault for letting the fish die," I peaked my head over her couch.

I feel like I'm being needy but I still want to know.

"Fair enough," she simply walks away from her stacks of papers.

I didn't even have to ask her to make time for me, it was just a mere rhetorical suggestion whereas with kent- nevermind.

"I do not have the intent on making my father out to be a monster. I have other plans for him, simple as that," she gestured me to sit up and she sat down for me to rest my head in her lap.

"You really are the bigger person when it's time to be," I giggled softly and she played with my hair.

"I wish I could agree, but now that there's an opening, I might as well come out with it," she sighed and our eyes met when I turned to lay on my back.

She carried an unreadable expression.

"I'd rather you be upset with him more than you are about to be with me for knowing and choosing to keep it a secret but you know about the assistant, Martha," starts.

"Stefani, her name is Mary," I corrected her and she shrugged.

"I don't care what her name is. What I do care about is that you understand I meant no harm on keeping this from you," she sighed tiredly.

As if her all nighter project is starting to take its toll.

"Kent's been going behind your back and sleeping with her. Im aware because he's been going back and forth with her even before he proposed to you," Stefani was searching in my eyes and I could just see a glimmer of regret in her eyes for saying it.

"So our engagement means nothing?" I sat up I felt rather irritated than hurt. I fiddled with my engagement ring and I felt like the right thing to do was cry but then again, I don't feel like crying.

"Your words not mine. You know me, I never took your engagement seriously," she sighed and closed her hands looking down.

Oh Stefani, I'm not mad at you for keeping this from me..

"Was there a reason why you'd keep this from me?" I started and her eyes flashed in mine. Her lips slightly parted but she hesitated trying to find the words.

"You were really into him at the time. I mean- of course I had only developed and realized that my attraction towards you were in fact feelings in due time but, you were invested in him. I had already accepted the fact you won't look at me the way looked at him," she bit her lip as she stared off to the side avoiding my eyes.

She really is telling the truth, she's embarrassed. Not only that, she's not in control of the situation. All she can do is tell the truth.

"Stefani, stop beating around the bush," I gently lifted her chin and gave her a small smile ensuring that I won't hold anything against her.

If anything, I value honesty and the hints she'd been dropping throughout our time together actually makes sense now.

I really want to giggle at how everything actually makes sense whenever she opens up. From her telling me about her mom, to her speaking freely about what she thinks of me and what I mean to her. Down to her telling me something such as my own fiancé cheating on me. But how can it be cheating if he never gave me a fair chance.