58

Lillian's pov

There were a lot of people running around the complex redecorating the place to be a little more festive for the holidays now that Thanksgiving is less than two weeks away.

I couldn't help but get caught up in the conversations that were being held: mainly because Stefani's name was mentioned bih every single last one..

Everyone's hopeful that she'll be back for the holidays because her mom always cooked from scratch and Stefani learned each recipe she's ever been known to make over the years.

I get occasional questions from interactions here and there about whether or not I'll be hosting the dinner instead of Stefani this year but I honestly don't know. It's seems rather traditional with Stefani running this year's thanksgiving and I don't want to be in the way of things.

"Any word that she'll be back for the holidays this year?" A staff member greeted me in fitted slacks and a white collar.

"We intended for it to be a discreet return. I'm sure she doesn't want attention," I smiled and they laughed realizing who they're asking about.

"Lillian," a voice calls me and I spin on my heel to see kent coming forward to meet me and go halfway to kiss him.

"Any news?" I struck a conversation.

"Her and Rachel should be landing today but they're gonna take the next few days to get Stefani acquainted in her new home. I'm kind of excited but bummed she won't be here as often," he held me by my waist.

"Th-that's great!" I didn't realized I flinched at his touch.

"Oh- another thing, in order to keep the press under wraps, she cannot visit here. If we want to see her for the next few months, it'll have to be at her place. Oh- before I forget, her new car should arrive later tonight by midnight and I'm gonna be working late. Rachel would love to give her a lift but her hands are tied making arrangements for someone else they met in Massachusetts... could you take Stefani to the airport? Maybe you two could spend the afternoon together.. I'll let you use my personal Uber driver since it'll be really late and you've been up and running all morning," His eyes practically pleaded and the sound of rustling props filled the silence as I felt a tug at the bottom of my stomach just thinking about seeing Stefani..

"Uh- yeah sure! I'd love to go pick her up," I nodded and he quickly kissed my cheek and headed back to the door.

I was stuck majority of the day getting a hold of caterers for the office banquet party for thanksgiving before the employees go off for two weeks to spend time with their families. I can cook, but I can't sufficiently cook that much food for a company. I'm not sure how Stefani managed to do so..

I've been so bogged down with scheduling and planning, I didn't realize how late in the afternoon it was until I checked my phone.

While I'm on it, I might as well check on stefani and see how she's doing.

Lillian: hey you

Stefani: no

Lillian: I didn't even say or ask you anything

Stefani: wrong person, I meant that to be sent for Rachel.. she wants to go out to eat and im not suppose to be making any public appearances... sorry.

Stefani: What do you want

Lillian: I- I guess that's something... Kent asked me to spend the afternoon with you and give you a lift to the airport so you can get your car.

Stefani: ok cool. Thanks. But what do you want?

Lillian: is everything alright?

Immediately, I receive a phone call from Stefani and I answered hesitantly waiting for whatever bad news she has- not that she might have any. But this is-

"Lillian, I don't think I could possibly be anymore clearer. I know about Kent's arrangements but what of yours?... What. Do. You. Want," her voice practically purred sending a chill down my spine that made me nothing but swallow heavily.

My mind went blank at her words and I didn't even realize I was stuttering.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about," I finally came out with it after a few moments of silence and more clattering from the interior designers.

"Yes you do and you know I hate being teased," her voice continues to be calm and soothing to the point it's restlessly hypnotic to my ears.

"I just want to spend the rest of the day alone with you.. all this holiday planning makes me wanna barf to be honest," I finally came out with it and Stefani lightly and briefly chuckled.

"That's very bad of you; using Kent's arrangements as convenience to cover up the fact that I've been on your mind and now that I'm blocks away rather than states, you can hardly keep yourself at bay," I nearly dropped the phone..

I had to rush to the bedroom and shut the door before anyone could see how red my face turned.

"You have some nerve!" I whisper yelled.

"As do you, what gives?" Stefani giggled and I just kept getting more and more flustered. I couldn't find the words to speak in time to reply.

"Tell the designers to leave and they'll resume in the next few days. You need a break. I'll gladly give you one," Stefani words soothed me.

"W-what makes you think their gonna just stop and listen?" I peaked my head out the door and they're working diligently as ever.

"The name Edwards should ring a bell as to who signs their checks. Now go on. I'd like to see the woman of the hour by the hour. At this rate, I might as well go to sleep and you can stay there since you're hesitant," Stefani continuously gets under my skin and I swing the door open.

"It's 5 o'clock. We can rest on this for a day or two and we'll pick this up later on Friday yeah? I'm sure you guys are beat," I pointed out to trays of club sandwiches, canned sodas and chips on the counter as everyone conversed in agreement that they did put in a good day's worth of work and treated themselves to a bit to eat.

"Thank you Ms. Edwards," designers and construction workers greeted me as they walked out of the pent house leaving me in a half assed decorated Christmas home. I mean- the constructors could only do so much because the interior designers were experimenting with different themes and we couldn't move forward until a theme was picked and assigned... ugh.

"Was that so hard Ms. Edwards?" Stefani's voice over the phone made me flinch.

"Stefani, when I see you... I'm gonna kill you," I sighed tiredly and she chuckled to herself.

"Don't tease me. You'll be on your knees before you can even lay a hand on me," she taunted me just as she abruptly hangs up and her voice is still the only thing I can process in my head.