103

Lillian's pov

I know Stefani wanted out of that house.

I think it was needed for me as well. 

"You should let me take a look at that ankle, Stef," I set my glass of water down on the night stand on the jet.

I can finally hear myself think for once..

"I forget you served in the military as a medic- fine," she sat up without resistance.

Her toenails are always painted a pretty Snow White that bring out the gold in her skin. The warmth of her body made my back ache in heat that is waiting to ignite.

"It's swollen, you shouldn't even be walking on it," I was worried as she scoffed a playful smirk.

"That's a bit overkill dont you think? I'm sure if we put a sleeve on it and have an ankle brace, a pair of boots and no one will notice," she brushed me off.

"Stefani this is about your overall health. Not how the public looks at you," I challenged her.

"Oh but darling, that's exactly what this is about," she kissed my cheek tenderly and reaches over to hand me my glass of water again.

"Care to elaborate?" I sipped.

Stefani was calm as ever despite today's events...

Maybe being in that house really did do a number with her. I understand why too- we talked about it; I saw how confused and frustrated she was. It boiled down to her taking it out on everyone and it scared me even until she explained her madness..

I know she said don't overthink it but I was too hard on her. I should've made an effort to be more patient- understand her more. It was her birthday, she wanted to make a good first impression, she was conflicted because she wanted to be introduced as my lover and not my stepdaughter- god, I can't even blame her for the chaos.

It's good seeing her comfortable and not so much on edge.

"I don't mind explaining things to you because of your innocence in not knowing. Very much so, I don't mind pointing out the parallels in all that I do and how it protects us," her voice was low and sweet.

It brought me to reality knowing that she's never had the intent on compromising me- although, I'm glad she swooned me from Kent.

"Back there with your sister, I was worried. The entire time I was worried about how our relationship would contradict with your family because my first impression to them was as your step daughter and I don't like secrets. For them to hear from me again as your wife and not your step daughter, I was taking their well being into consideration," she was zoned out as she spoke freely of her troubling thoughts.

"Earlier this morning, I didn't want to risk exposure through the provocations of angering your sister- I know darling, she was about to hit me if your mother hadn't turned the corner," her eyes locked into mine and I now came to terms that Stefani could alwYs handle her own. She was willing to get hit.

"I could care less about what I have to endure... to be honest, it was my fault for even escalating it that far. I even gave you my word I wouldn't stir up anymore trouble," she took my hand with her engagement ring and ran her thumb across my knuckle followed with a gentle kiss.

"Oh stef-

"But to tie this with the public eye... I cannot let anyone raise any questions that leads back to us. My ankle? Some people are not so stupid nowadays- I said some," she shrugged and I giggled.