Chapter 19

Stefani's pov

I managed to sneak out the house when my dad left for work that morning after fighting with Lillian- she stormed off to her bedroom doing whatever. That gave me an opening to slip out and meet up with Rachel today.

"Jesus, you look like you haven't slept," Rachel took a single glance at me and hands me a caramel oat milk latte with foam from Starbucks.

"Ugh they're yelling.. so much for trying to rest. They've been at each other's necks since yesterday. Lillian's yelling about me not having the right to miss my mom. Kent's yelling nonsense and then walks away saying he has work and then it quiet after that.. something tells me this isn't over," I took a sip and felt warm inside again.

"She's fighting a war that can't be won, isn't she?" Rachel concluded for me.

I took a heavy sigh and stared out at the sky, "yeah, pretty much," my thoughts drifted back to when I completely shoved her away from me.

It gave me a chill- guilt.

"So what's the move for today?" Rachel starts backing out.

"Can't be a college girl without a car," I replied sarcastically and unenthusiastically.

"This is what it takes for you to get a car?" She teased and a small smile slipped.

"I thought you liked picking me up because I paid for gas," I snarled with a smirk.

"I do, but I've always imagined what kind of car you'd pick me up in," she teased.

"I'm stuck between exotic and sports and foreign," I took another sip.

"Why not pick a car that's all three?" Rachel shrugs.

"You have a car in mind?" I arched a brow and she smiled- she does.

"I'll show you, but the car you pick is what you pick. It's just a suggestion," she shrugs.

"You're a good friend... I never ask how you're doing," I stared at my latte cup.

"You're a good friend too, my life isn't as hectic as yours. It's wayyyy too stable for you to check up on me Stef, I'm serious, there's literally nothing going on," she assured.

"Oh yeah? What about lover boy that I forgot his name," I smirked.

"Broke up with him not that long ago, she shrugged," she spoke effortlessly.

"I thought you liked him!" I nearly spat my drink out.

"Yeah but like I said, my life is literally too stable. It's boring. He's boring- he doesn't even have a personality. Don't get me wrong, his dimples are everything, but he's not engaging. Not like- not even close like you. He's so dry. I like him, he's attractive but that personality is not giving what's suppose to be gave," she explained.

"You're not disappointed?" I looked over.

"Just a little bit, but if he's cute with no personality, I know there's gonna be one who's cute with a personality," she smiles at me assuringly.

"Aren't you a fresh breath of sunshine," I rolled my eyes with a smile.

"I am a blonde after all," she smiled.

"Holy shit!" I almost spat out latte this time at the dealership she pulled up to.

"We're here!" She chirped parked the car.

This looks like a concert- but for cars! We literally parked indoors and everything.

"It's one of my dad's new car lots, he opened it a few months ago. We got a shipment of exotics last month and we've been bidding them- but there's this one in particular that I begged him to hold off until you saw it," she tosses her keys to the valet.