Chapter 14

Stefani's POV

I'm gonna kill her.

Rachel and her damn peppy shit. She continuously goes on about how I should acknowledge how attractive Lillian is. I think she's the one crushing on her, not me. And she's invited her to spend the day with us.

"Pick your color and design," Lillian interrupts my thoughts.

"Solid Snow White, almond shaped," I said plainly. I don't care. I just want this to be over with.

"Such a boring color," Rachel pouts at me and I rolled my eyes with a heavy shrug.

"Not at all. The color white is a constant mixture of happiness and sadness. Positive and negative energies. Balance," our stylist acquainted the three of us to get our feet soaked.

"So which side of the spectrum are you on?" Rachel butts into my thoughts.

"The side where you mind your goddamn business," I retorted and I heard a faint giggle from Lillian and I felt something spike within me for a brief second.

"And for you?" The stylist turned to Rachel and this bitch looked overwhelmed as hell. Sheesh.

"Royal blue," she said.

I noticed the stylist's eyes lifted for a mere second and it was almost a concerned look.

"Mmmmm why not this color of blue? It's soft and as a girl, your eyes should always be the thing any person of interest would notice first. Direct eye contact can capture the intent of someone's actions- besides, Pastel blue has always been cute on you," I picked a shade of creamy baby blue and handed it to Rachel to contemplate.

I saw a wave of relief come over the woman... I knew what I was anticipating. I didn't even like the color royal blue myself unless it was a special occasion, but it's Rachel's choice. I respect it but- I forgot her boyfriend's name already, what a shame. I guess they won't last long because I always remember who she's dating.

Rachel grabbed a mini mirror from her purse and held each shade of blue next to her eyes and I was exactly right.

A wave of relief caught my eye from the stylist's glance and I kept it to myself.

"And for you ma'am?" It was Lillian's turn to pick a color.

My eyes averted to her looking at the colors but I spotted a peachy shade of salmon pink that would bring out the natural shade of her lips...knowing her, I could never tell her to pick that color. She'd ask why.

Shit, I'm asking myself why and I know why.

I gave a reason when I chose a certain color for Rachel, it was to bring out her eyes. The hell do I look like telling my dad's temporary fiancé that this shade of pink would bring out the plumpness of her peachy lips?

Why am I even- screw it

"Where are you going?" Rachel just had to open her mouth.

"To go pick a good seat," I growled.

"I know you two are friends, but Stefani, we have to work on your social skills," Lillian's voice practically sang and I remained quiet with a slight huff.

"What made you think you want to become a housewife," Rachel opens her mouth again and my brow twitched.

Lillian can do whatever the hell she wants without explaining herself. She's a woman. Jeez and this is supposed to be relaxing....

"Kent told me he had a daughter and that she didn't have much of a mother figure growing up... I'm glad I made the right choice," I could feel Lillian's eyes on me but I wouldn't dare make eye contact with her.

The nerve to say that... it's too nice. I don't believe it.

"Thanks," I muttered.

"She says the most touching thing anyone could say about you and that's all you have to say?" Rachel teases.

"You don't see it like I do," I had a dramatic sigh and slouched in my cushioned chair.

"Enlighten me," Lillian rests her head in her hand as she looked at me. It's not normal for someone's eyes to glimmer this much with anticipation...

"Ugh.." I rolled my eyes and unexpectedly I felt a twitch. It wasn't at the corner of my head. Not even my hand resisting to make a fist to punch Rachel. None of my brows twitched either.

I felt someone lean in and it was a mere mumble..

"Don't let Rachel see you smile," Lillian whispered.

"What are you guys talking about?" Rachel practically shoved her face to the other side of my neck.

"Oh fuck off rachel!" I shoved her face and her kicking feet started sloshing water and I laughed at the sight of a fish squirming.

"I'm so sorry!" Rachel apologized to the woman who's tending to us.

I found myself not enjoying the humor as much  as I wanted to when Lillian looked apologetically and wasn't enjoying any of it...

"Here... for the hassle we've caused you..." I took out two hundred dollars and tipped the woman.

"I can't take that," the woman's eyes went big.

"You can and you will," I took her hand and placed the money sincerely. She bowed her head gratefully, shocked to how she should respond.

"At some point money can't make things get better," Rachel teased.

"We're not at that point yet so why worry about it," I brushed her off and focused on relaxing but for Christ sake, it's always something.

"Just like you think you're looking at me when I'm not noticing, I saw what you did there. That was sweet of you," Lillian whispered under her breath and it made me grunt.

"You're just like Rachel," I mumbled and she giggled.

~~~

"I wish I got the color white now, it looks so good on your skin," Rachel was in the back seat pouting.

"Head out your ass. Pastel blue compliments your blonde hair and blue eyes," I scoffed.

"What did you think about my color?" Lillian interrupted my flow of energy..

I looked at her nails.

That color..

The color I claimed to have brought out her lips-

"Stef, helloooo," Lillian took a quick glance off the road towards me and I snapped back to look at her nails again, but my eyes went to her lips to compare the similarity in tints.

"I like them," I said plainly.

Im not sure how to respond. I don't trust it.

"Ms. Edwards, I love your nails!" Rachel gushes over her.

She so has a crush on her, I'm sitting right here. The nerve she has to say I have a crush on my so called step mother. Lillian is weird- just as annoying as Rachel. They're fucking perfect for eachother.

"Don't call me an Edwards just yet," she smiled into the review mirrors.

Jesus, is it too late?