97

Lillian's pov

"You can't possibly think about marrying him- let alone have her as a step daughter," my sister flopped on the bed beside me.

I peaked through the curtains to see my dad and kent still go at it on the front lawn waving their arms around and yelling while the rest of our family stands by enjoying the live entertainment.

"The man's a joke and his step daughter? Please tell me it's for the money, that, I'd respect even more out of you," she scoffed.

"I have no intent of sharing my thoughts and personal agenda with you," I softly spoke.

"Yeah well, make sure that brat doesn't spit anywhere near me," she scoffed.

Why is Stefani acting like this? She's more confusing than before when we first met.

A faint knock was on the door as Chase was still bundled up in his hoodie.

"Gma said she wants to talk to aunt Lil," he gestured to my parent's bedroom..

"Bet she's had it with that girl too," she shook her head making my head ache..

If only Stefani could act right, my sister can see that Stefani isn't some spoiled rich brat. She has a heart.

"I'm coming," I dragged my feet to out the room and across the hall to find my mom sitting on the side of the bed.

"You're my youngest daughter you know that?" She starts the conversation and gestures me to sit next to her.

"Which means, I worry about you the most. The world is constantly changing. Not so much as for your older sister, that world I could keep up with. But when the world changed again because you were born... I could hardly breathe everything was so different," she smiled.

"Mom, you know I feel some type of way when you talk like this," I smiled sincerely at her words.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She caught my eye.

"About me and Kent being engaged?" I question and she shook her head.

"About your breakup with the young lady a while back. You two were a great fit in my opinion," she reaches for my hand and squeezes it.

"Well mom, we didn't far in the relationship but I'll admit her daughter does share some similarities with Stefani. On the contrary, opposites do attract but she wasn't the perfect fit for me the more time I spent realizing we weren't meant to settle with one another. Her views were too contrast with mine despite the strong and small similarities. The parting was peaceful," I stared down at our hands.

"She never hurt you in any way?" She lifted my chin.

"No, she's always respected my opinions as she expressed hers. If I was in her position, I'd prioritized the same. Her daughter is her world, I wouldn't want to step in between such a thing. I know I wanted to help contribute but- all they needed was already there since her daughter was also receiving aid from her girlfriend," I reasoned with a giggle at the thought of me and Eleanora becoming friends.

Carter's life is truly extraordinary. I'm so happy I got to contribute to it in all that I could.

"Now why him?" She referred to kent and struck a nerve.

"He was a breath of fresh air. I really liked the way I felt," I softly smiled.

"I'm not as sharp and on my feet as the young lady down stairs with Chase, but were you not speaking in pas-tense?" I'm so sure she felt my hand flinch.

"You still want to marry him even though you no longer feel the same? Lillian, I don't understand dear," she looked concerned.

"It's... complicated," I mumbled.