Pt 2 Chapter 3 - The three words

Y/n's POV

The weeks went on and things stayed pretty normal. We explored more of Cornwall, visiting the beach and several old heritage houses. Nat found the houses super interesting and I always liked to go to them, imagining what life would be like to live there. Things in our 'relationship' remained at their slow pace which we both felt comfortable with. Neither of us had ever been with a girl. I had never been with anyone so it was definitely an experience!

It was a warm night on our 3rd week, I had been feeling a little down the past day. Having been so close to where I grew up and visiting some of my father's favourite day trip destinations was hard. I had never really gotten the chance to grieve, there was no funeral and life at the compound kept me too busy. I was glad it went that way but now life had settled my sadness was growing. We had gone for a little wander to clear my head. Eventually returning to sit in the garden. It was dark, stars twinkling overhead. We sat on the bench in the garden looking up at the stars, a blanket around our shoulders. Nat sat with me in silence, like she always did when I needed to think. "He's up there you know." I smiled sadly, my eyes dancing over the gleaming balls of light, the far off angels. "He's watching over you." She replied softly. 

After a short while she took her phone from her pocket and put on a slow, yet happy song. She got to her feet, smiling at me. "Dance with me." Her hand reached out to me and I took hold of it slowly. Her smooth skin felt cold against my own. Slowly we swayed along to the music and a smile came across my lips. The music built a little and the speed of our steps quickened. Nat spun me around and laughed lightly as I spun back into her arms. We danced under the stars, peaceful as ever, enjoying every moment. "You are going soft Romanoff." I joked lightly, as my arms gently wrapped around the back of her neck and her hands found my hips. We swayed once again to the music, our bodies closer now; our eyes fixed upon one another. "I wonder who's fault that is." She joked. Her smile made my heart flutter, I felt so incredibly lucky.

Our dancing went on for a few songs until the goosebumps prickled on my arms. "Bed time I think." Nat led me inside and we slowly got dressed into pajamas. Believe it or not we were still changing separately, taking it slow. Nat turned once I had finished.

The beautiful woman crawled onto the bed, I tilted my head curiously to see her in this position. She drew the covers back and clambered in. I got in beside her and snuggled into her chest, her arm around my small shoulders. She gently stroked my exposed shoulder as my eyes fluttered shut. I could feel her eyes looking over me as I pretended to fall asleep. I was so happy, enjoying the moment too much to sleep. We were both awake for quite some time before I felt her shift her weight slightly, but she was ever so careful. Assuming I was asleep, she moved only a little to make herself comfy, scared too much movement would wake me. "I love you." She whispered before I felt her body relax a little more, indicating she was ready to drift off to sleep. I smiled, hoping it wasn't too visible to her. I couldn't believe what she had said, I wanted to jump up and hug her, or plant a loving kiss on her soft lips. But she had said it on the pretense that I was asleep, perhaps not ready to tell me completely just yet.

When the birds sang a few hours later, I woke to find Nat out of bed. She was sat at the computer already working. We were away, but she still had SHIELD files to fill out once a week. "Morning darling." I yawned.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you Darling. It just wanted to get these out of the way."

"Darling?" I chuckled.

"Sorry, it just slipped out. I-"

"Tasha it's fine I'm just teasing." I got up and hugged her from behind, burying my head in her neck, smelling the comforting scent of her perfume. "I'm going shopping anyway so you have plenty of time to do those."

I got ready, having a quick shower and then getting dressed into some casual clothes to nip to the shop. Nat plaited my hair and then made me a slice of toast whilst I went through the cupboards to make a list. I gave her a kiss on the cheek as I grabbed my bag to leave. She had brought her laptop downstairs and was sitting at the table, coffee in hand, ready to work. A picture of beauty. "See you later, I love you." I said, not really concentrating as I grabbed the keys for the Range rover. As my voice replayed in my head, my hands froze briefly.

"Woah, did you actually just say that?" Nat smiled shyly at me, looking up from her computer.

"Yeah I guess I did." I felt a blush spread over my cheeks.

"Well, I love you too." Nat's expression was softer, much softer than what it was ever like when we weren't alone. "I'll um, be, um, back soon." I stuttered, looking nervously at her. I felt like a dork, fiddling with my keys, looking like a child talking to their crush. "Ok Darling."

With that I left, getting into the car with the brightest smile. The whole time I couldn't stop smiling. We only had a week left in the cottage, but a week was long enough to see where else things might go.

Nat's POV

Y/n left to go shopping, leaving me a blushing mess in front of my computer. I rested my head on my hand for a moment, a gooey smile plastered on my face. Happiness exploded like fireworks inside of me. I had hoped so desperately that she would feel the same way that I did, and now I knew that she did. My files were hard from then on, my mind wouldn't stop wandering to think about Y/n. I had to focus but it was hard. I had never looked at a girl, a woman, like that before Y/n came along. But here I was falling deeper and deeper in love with her.

My fingers idly pressed the keys, the words and numbers filled the pages and forms. There were still events happening, smaller things that I used to be sent on as a normal agent but now Fury sent his smaller agents on those. Their most recent recruit had ended up with a smashed hand meaning I had to enter the health and safety forms. "Rolled over by a lorry. Seriously?" I sighed to myself. How on earth would a man get his hand run over by a lorry? I sipped my coffee once again, rolling my eyes. Then there were report files from other missions. And some left over accord rules to file. The work went on until after Y/n got home with the shopping.

With only a week left before we returned to the compound I wanted to make it count. During my mind wandering away from files I began to formulate a plan. A surprise to end the trip, something to make it all even more worth it. But I wanted it to be perfect, not very extravagant but something special. I hated attention being on me, so nothing too flashy. My plan came together as I watched her put away the chips, or as she calls them, crisps. Little ideas flushed through my head until one settled nicely. The following day I would try to see it through. Something simple but perfect, for the perfect woman who I was lucky enough to have met.

Y/n's POV

Nat was acting a little weird, almost suspicious when I got back. Smiling randomly at herself. I felt a little cold so I grabbed the jumper that was over the arm of the sofa. Nat's jumper. It smelt like her and as I slipped it over my head I took a deep breath, inhaling the sweet yet musky smell. "Are you alright?" I finally asked when I realised Nat was scribbling some weird writing on a notepad. "Oh yes, of course." She said hurriedly. I tried to read it but it wasn't English. She was hiding something, why else would she have written in Russian? Perhaps a surprise or a secret message from Fury, maybe something from Bucky seeing as he also spoke Russian. I knew Nat was still quite a private person and I completely respected that. Trust was a fragile thing for the both of us. So I simply let it go and put the kettle on ready to make tea.