Pt 5 Chapter 10 - Portals

Y/n's POV

The following morning we all gathered in the meeting room. Harriet sat on Clint's lap and he bounced his knee to entertain her. It was lovely to see how well everyone looked after her. She was spoiled rotten.

Tony brought up the stones in their sections on the screen. "All right. We have a plan." Steve began. "Six stones, three teams, one shot."

"Now to decide who's doing what." Tony pointed his pen at the screen.

"I think that Bruce, Tony, Scott and I should probably take New York. Unless anyone has any objections?" Steve suggested.

"I'm down." Bruce shrugged.

"Yeah that's fine with me. After all, we'll need to sneak into my tower." Tony pointed out.

"Well, I will take Morag if that's alright. And we can drop another team off at Vormir on the way." Nebula said in her usual dry tone.

"Okay. So who wants to go to space?" Tony clapped his hands looking around.

"Well Thor best go to Asgard. Rocket, do you wanna make sure he gets there alright?" I nodded at our smallest team mate.

"Yep fine with me." Rocket nodded and Thor gave me a thumbs up.

"Well that leaves me, Y/n, Clint and Rhodey." Nat looked at me.

"I'm happy to accompany Nebula if that's okay with you?" Rhodey looked to Nebula. She smiled at him, meaning yes.

"Okay, so Clint, Y/n and Natasha are headed to Vormir." Steve nodded, scribbling it down on his notepad.

"Thor and Rocket, you know what you're looking for. The New york team we're looking for the scepter and tesseract. And Nebula, you have the power stone sorted? Vormir team. The soul stone... Nebula, do you know anything?"

"As I said. It's just a bad place so I advise you to be careful." She sighed.

"Noted." I took a deep breath, looking at Harriet. I winked at her and she tried to copy me. However in her clumsy attempt she just screwed up both eyes with a big smile.

Everyone took a deep breath, the atmosphere shifting to one of worry and dread. Bruce, Nebula and Scott went back to making the rest of the suits for us all. Tony, Rocket and Steve disappeared to work on the final touches of the machine.

I was nervous and I could tell Nat was as well. She fiddled with the cuff of her jumper as she looked down at the ground. She tried her hardest to hide her dread but I could see it clear as day and I could see that Clint saw it too. I saw his arm reach across under the table and I knew that it now rested on her thigh, a subtle way of reassuring her that all would be well. She looked up to meet my gaze. I smiled softly hoping it would provide her with a small amount of comfort.

"We'll be okay." I mouthed across the table and she nodded ever so slightly. I hoped that we would be okay, it was all I could do at that moment in time as the future ahead of us seemed so uncertain.

*

The team was up bright and early the following morning as we prepared ourself for the mission. There was still a great degree of uncertainty and we had made the decision that we wanted our daughter to be out of the situation should anything go drastically wrong.

We decided to call Happy and ask if he would take Harriet to stay with Pepper and Morgan for the day and possibly the night depending on the success of our mission. He picked her up at 9am. Natasha put on a brave smile as we said our goodbyes to Haz. She seemed utterly and completely clueless until right as we were about to kiss her goodbye.