Pt 5 Chapter 18 - Breaking the news

Y/n's POV

I slept before my 3 hour surgery where they just about managed to remove the metal glove without leaving too much damage. When I woke up back in my hospital room where Clint and Wanda were still waiting with me.

"Hey." Clint smiled.

"Hey." I replied quietly. Everything still hurt but I was dosed up enough on pain killers that it wasn't too bad. "Has anyone spoken to Happy?"

"Stark is with them now, but he's not told Harriet." Wanda informed me.

"Alright."

The day passed slowly with doctors coming in and out all the time to check on me. I think I slept for most of the day, as did Clint and Wanda in their chairs. To be honest I really couldn't tell. I hadn't eaten in hours but I couldn't. Eventually the nurses took away my plate of food and left me to it. All I could think about was telling Harriet the bad news and with every thought that went through my head came the sinking feeling in my stomach. It was a feeling that made me want to throw up, so food was out of the question.

Before I knew it it was the next day. Harriet was coming with Tony and Cap and they were picking me up to take me home. I had been on blood bags and drips for the past 24 hours and was well enough to go home. Well, back to the Stark cabin.

"There's a spare room which you can have Y/n. Harriet will still share with Morgan. Wanda you can sleep in with Y/n if she's okay with that and then Sam, Cap and Bucky in the living room." Tony told us over the phone whilst I attempted to eat breakfast. I was eating just enough to get clearance to be discharged. I couldn't wait to leave.

Clint was going home later today to be with his family. He had stayed with me the whole time making sure I was alright. I think it was the slight guilt, but also I knew he felt obliged to protect me now that Nat was gone. I didn't need him to do that but he's a stubborn man.

The morning rolled past and I was just catching Wanda up on the past five years. Eventually Cap and Tony turned up in a quin jet to take me home. I could hear Harriet coming as the sound of running echoed down the hallway. She burst into my room and jumped on my bed. I winced as she lent on my rib a little to give me a hug.

"Hello princess." I giggled, tears in my eyes. "I missed you."

"I missed you too!." She gave me an even tighter hug and I watched as Tony and Cap came in with a wheelchair. My eyes flicked to Wanda and Clint who watched with big smiles. They had never seen Harriet before. Haz pulled back from her cuddle and placed a hand on my arm.

"What happened?"

"Oh, I hurt it a little but it's getting better. I can explain it all when we get back to Uncle Tony's house."

"Okay! You must be really strong now!" She smiled at me, still sitting on my lap.

"What do you mean?"

"Pain only makes you stronger!" She told me.

"Yes it does. Mamma taught you that didn't she?" I asked and Harriet nodded. She looked back at Tony and as she did realised there were two people sat in the corner. I watched as her little freckled face lit up.

"Mummy!"

"Yes pumpkin?"

"Look!" She pointed at Clint and Wanda.

"Yes it's Aunty Wanda and Uncle Clint."

"They're back from their adventure!" Harriet beamed and jumped down off of my bed and ran over to Wanda.

"Nice to meet you Harriet." Wanda held out her hand. Harriet hesitated then shook it. Clint held up his hand and received a high five. I watched with happy tears tumbling down my face. She may have lost Natasha but she'd have an even bigger, stronger family around her now to help her grow.