Pt 2 Chapter 9 - Dark alleyways

Nat's POV

We sat in the back of the quinjet, holding hands. I stroked her hand with my thumb to calm her. I could tell she was nervous because she did her usual little nervous habit of bouncing her leg and biting the skin on her lip. The quinjet landed and we got out, it was a long-ish walk to the hotel we believed Steve and Sam were staying at. To stay subtle we couldn't exactly fly into the center of the town and grab a taxi. The town was gorgeous as we strolled through the streets, pulling our small suitcases. We wore clothes that usual tourists wore, occasionally pointing at pretty things to try and blend in as sightseers. As much as we were here to do a job I couldn't help but enjoy it. I was a little apprehensive about the hotel because it seemed a little run down and dodgy but I had slept in much much worse in my past so it was ok. "That restaurant smells great, maybe we can check it out." Y/n smiled, passing the doors of a busy restaurant with a red neon sign. "We are on a mission, remember." I laughed, trying to stay focused on why we came here.

"Doesn't mean we can't have fun." She glared at me playfully. I led her through the crowds of people and through alleyways to cut time. Eventually we walked up the little side street to the entrance of the small hotel. We pushed open the creaking door and waited at the wooden front desk. Behind it were hooks and numbers holding the keys. "Hallo." A young woman came from the back room. "Hallo." I replied.

"Wir haben Zimmer 004 gebucht. Untersucht Jenny Richards." {"we booked room 004 under Jenny Richards."} I told the woman. She ran her finger down a list of names in a thick book and nodded. Handing me a set of keys. I led Y/n off upstairs with a fake smile. "I didn't know you were fluent in German? And is that what I have to call you now, Jenny." She smirked.

"Darling there's a lot of things you still don't know about me."

"Ok miss Russian spy." She teased in a hushed whisper. I unlocked the door and led us into the room. It had a small double bed, sofa, tiny kitchen, little table and a bathroom. It smelt a little damp and generally looked worn down. "Nice." Y/n said sarcastically putting her bag down on the bed. "Really homely." She rolled my eyes.

"Oh, come on now priss. Got to slum it with the rest of us." I teased, nudging her lightly.

"So now what?" She turned to me with hands on hips.

"We wait, and watch and listen." I told her as I took the guns from out of my leather boots and then the small daggers from the holster under my shirt. "You had that on you the whole time?" She asked quite surprised.

"Can never be too cautious. I'm not the most popular person on this side of the planet." I still had a gun tucked in my belt just in case. My time in Germany from my days in the Red room had not been too pleasant, I definitely had an enemy or two in these parts.

We sort of sat and waited, looking out of the window, book in hand pretending to read as we watched the street below. "Do you think they are even here?" Y/n asked at last to break the silence of our thoughts.

"Honestly I don't know. I'm just hoping." I replied in a small voice.

"Hope is all one can have." She smiled at me, flicking to the next page of Lord of the Rings.

"I wonder what Thor is doing." She sort of laughed, glancing up at the clouded sky.

"Probably staring at himself in the mirror or fighting with Loki. Maybe he's king." I frowned, thinking of the overly confident blonde.

Y/n's POV  {TW:  Mild S*xual assult ... sorry}

We watched out of the fogged window for what felt like hours, occasionally saying someone in passing but mostly thinking to ourselves as the world moved beyond our window. But the silence of our waiting was interrupted with the sound of hard footsteps passing the door. Nat placed a hand on the gun hidden under her leather jacket and rose from the window seat. She hurried to the door, picking up her phone and putting it against her ear, pretending to be on a call. She quickly left out of the door and then there was silence. I went closer to the door trying to listen, but there was nothing. A few seconds passed as I held my breath worryingly. There would be no reason for her to get hurt but what if she did. My nerves got the better of me as I decided to go out. I took hold of the key, slipping it into my pocket and went out of the room, glancing up and down the corridor. Nat was gone. I looked down the stairs and there was no sign of her. I assumed she had gone after the footsteps. I decided to try and call her. No answer. Panic rose through me until I remembered our little secret. "Where the bloody hell are you?" I thought to her.