Pt 2 Chapter 6 - A happy family

Nat's POV

Barton rang up and invited me and Y/n over for dinner now that we were back from England. Of course we accepted the invite, I had missed him terribly. And it would be the first time seeing him since the fight. I think Stark was calling it the civil war. It was a warm evening and Y/n had just gotten out of the shower. Her hair fell loosely over her shoulders and her skin was still dotted with beads of water. I was curling my hair and watched from the corner of my eye as she got dressed. Her chosen outfit was a sweet little dress. She searched through the jewelry box to find matching earrings and a ring. She put on a second necklace that hung a little lower than the one she always wore. It was an arrow necklace to match my own, mine being a gift from Clint. She slipped into a pair of heeled black boots which did wonders for her slim figure. She winked at me playfully before walking back into the bathroom to do her makeup. "Nat, please can you do my hair?" She called, sticking her head around the door. I nodded before returning to my own hair. A little while after she came and sat on the desk chair, swiveling to let me plait her h/c hair. It was still a little wet, making it easier to grasp. "Friday please put on my playlist." She spoke randomly and the sweet sounds of her favorite music came drifting through the speakers in the ceilings. Once I was finished I put on my own outfit, admiring it in the mirror. "Ready darling?" I asked finally, taking her hand to walk out the room. She grabbed her purse on the way out of the door and we made our way out of the living quarters. There were a few stares from the SHIELD agents as we passed through the main entrance. It didn't stop us though as we walked confidently past them, hand in hand, a casual smirk on our faces.

Y/n's POV

I was definitely a little worried, or apprehensive, about going to see Barton, but I knew how much he meant to Nat. Therefore how important it was to her for him to know about us, and for me to meet her second family. Nat had agreed to fly us there in the quinjet because it wasn't particularly close. She led me up the ramp and sat in the pilot's chair. I sat beside her, smiling to myself at how perfectly badass she looked in her leather jacket and both hands on the handles. The jet took off, it always caught me a little off guard as it jolted off the ground, causing Nat to chuckle. "Having fun already?" I called over the sound of the engine. She nodded, laughing. My music was now playing through the built in stereo that Tony had installed. Nat and I sang along happily as we flew to the farm.

Eventually we landed smoothly a little walk away from the yellow farmhouse. It was a gorgeous home with the perfect amount of surrounding land, a little barn and some veg growing. Nat led me off across the land towards the porch. She knocked happily on the door and a kind looking brunette woman answered the door. "Natasha! Good to see you, do come in." She stepped aside to let us pass. "Nice to meet you I'm Laura." She smiled at me, holding a hand out for me to shake it. I did so, "Lovely to meet you, I'm Y/n."

"Clint mentioned you, glad to see some more girls on the team. Poor Nat was a little lonely." She had a friendly smile and kind voice. "Did I hear Auntie Nat?" A young girl's voice called. There was the noise of excited footsteps rushing down the stairs before two older children came running around the corner, shortly followed by Clint carrying a toddler. "Why don't you hug her and find out?" Nat said sarcastically, holding her arms out to the children, a beaming smile on her face. They wrapped their arms around her waist and she pulled them close. "My gosh you have gotten tall haven't you. You look so grown up!" She looked happily at the children. I smiled at how wonderful my girlfriend was with the little people.

"L/n, nice to see you." Clint smiled, putting down the toddler.

"Hi, I'm Lila!" The girl turned to me, she looked a lot like Clint but had the soft expression of her mother. "Hello, I'm Y/n. I used to work with your dad." I replied, looking down at the pretty child. "My older brother is called Cooper and that's Nate." She pointed at the toddler. The little boy waddled over to Nat and she picked him up. "Hello traitor." She smiled cutely at him, booping him on the nose. The boy squealed in excitement.

Laura and Clint led us into the open plan kitchen diner, the sweet smell of food flooding my nostrils. "I hope you like lasagna." Laura asked, getting a bottle of wine from the wine rack.

"Oh yes, of course."

Nat and I took a seat at the table. Lila sat between me and Nat and Cooper sat next to his father. "So Nat tells me you two had a little adventure in England." Barton turned to me, his usual teasing expression. "Yes, we stayed for a month, and wanted to get away from the chaos. I'm sure you get what I mean." He nodded, pouring me and Nat a glass of wine each.

We chatted a little, listening to some of the stories the children were telling us. It was wonderful seeing Nat interact with them; it made my heart ache knowing she couldn't have her own. I watched silently as Cooper told us something about his archery, just like his father. Eventually I helped Laura dish up the dinner. It was a wonderful meal which I thoroughly enjoyed. Eventually, much like Barton did, he decided to ask the usual nosey questions. "I'm assuming you didn't find any nice english men to bring back then, no holiday romances." He teased, winking at Nat. I looked at her a little nervously waiting for her to tell him.

"Actually there was. And it wasn't just a holiday romance." Nat smiled at me, hoping Clint would take the hint. "Is this what I think it is?" He smiled and Nat nodded, looking back at him. He nodded softly, "Nice."

"I don't get it?" Lila interrupted.

"Y/n and Auntie Nat are girlfriends Sweetie." Laura told her daughter, making it sound completely normal. "Like you and daddy?" Cooper replied.

"Sort of, but we are married. Girlfriends and boyfriends come a few years before you get married."

"Oh I see. Well when will you be getting married? Can I be a bridesmaid?" Lila turned to Nat excitedly. Nat blushed at me. "Oh, I don't know when sweetheart, not quite yet. But who knows... in a few years maybe. Then you will be even bigger and more beautiful, you can be my gorgeous bridesmaid!"

"Nate can be the flower boy!" Cooper joked. I laughed as the youngest child looked at his brother confusingly. I felt little butterflies dance around in my stomach, wondering if Nat really believed we could get married one day.

"Did I tell you guys that Y/n has magic!" Nat looked at them excitedly. They shook their heads frantically. I smiled and gently moved my empty plate above the table and into the sink with a wave of my hand. A glow of purple emitted from the object, highlighting it slightly and my eyes glowed their usual purple. They looked in shock and asked for me to do it again. So I did, I loaded all of our empty plates into the sink, remaining in my seat. Then I turned on the tap with a small movement of my fingers and with one swift move poured in some washing up liquid. "Wow, that is useful." Laura laughed lightly.

We had ice cream for dessert before the kids gave us an archery display and playfully tried to wrestle Natasha. Nat was laughing and smiling the whole time which made me happy. Clint and Laura watched as she played, occasionally asking me little questions about myself and Nat. "She'd be a wonderful mother." I sighed and Clint nodded.

"It's not impossible, there is an option with science or you could just adopt." He spoke coolly. I blushed at the thought, I would love that. "Yes I suppose, I just feel bad for her."

"That's understandable, she's been through some awful things." Clint laughed. Clint had known Natasha for years and just by his mannerism it was clear how much he cared for her.

After a few hours we got ready to leave, buzzing with joy. "Thank you so much." I gave Laura a hug as we said our goodbyes. "Any time, you two are always welcome. It was a pleasure to meet you."

"Well it was good to see you Barton." Clint smiled, hugging her friend.

"Missed you Romanoff." He smiled. The kids hugged her in turn and then turned to me, giving me a hug. I could feel the beaming grin spread over my face. I had always loved kids but never really got the chance to spend any time with them and having my own was always a far off thought.

We finished our goodbyes, boarding the quinjet and flying home. Clint had taken our relationship well, and his family was wonderful. We both felt wonderfully happy as we flew home in silence. I smiled the whole way home as the fresh memories of Nat laughing flashed in my mind. "Maybe one day" I thought to myself, not realising I had focused a little too much on Nat. "Definitely." She thought back. My heart skipped a beat and I couldn't help but laugh.