Pt 5 Chapter 20 - The sister

Everyone hung around for a while after the small memorial. Wanda, Clint and I rejoined the group and I took the opportunity to catch up with Fury and Maria.

"Hey." I said quietly, approaching them carefully. Maria's eyes were red and I could see the sorrowful expression on Nick's face.

"That was a beautiful speech Y/n." Fury said, turning to look at me.

"Thank you. I'm sorry for your loss, you two meant a lot to her." I tried to put on a smile which was returned by Maria. "And I'm sorry that you didn't get to say goodbye."

"Don't be sorry, these things happen in this industry." Fury tried to sound professional but I could see that the loss of an old friend hurt him.

"Where will you go now?" Maria asked.

"I could ask you the same question." We both lived at the compound, the compound which was now nothing but ruin.

"I'll work something out, you know me." Maria shrugged. I knew that several years ago Maria and Natasha had been close, they had a history and therefore this news was hard for her. She stared at me for a moment, and I pulled her into a hug.

"I'm here if either of you ever need me." I whispered to her.

"Thank you. You're a very strong woman." Maria replied softly. I pulled back and gave her a smile. Harriet and Wanda came over. Harriet was in Wanda's arms and Wanda was singing softly, it was a song in Sokovian. Harriet's arms reached out to me and I let her move into my arms. I held her tightly, placing kisses on her head.

I think the realisation was slowly hitting her and I realised that it was probably time to get her home. Home. That was a bit of a sticky situation. Tony was letting us stay at his house until we got back on our feet and there was talk that we would receive some sort of payment, partially from Nat's death and also because we had lost our home. But until then it was just a waiting game. Wanda, the boys and I had decided to book a room in a local hotel before going home. Sam was returning to his family and Bucky and Steve were planning on looking for an apartment to share in brooklyn.

By the sounds of it everyone was stepping away from their hero positions now that the war was won. I liked the idea of that, there was a part of me that wanted to run back to England and hide in the tranquil countryside. We would start a new life and try to forget all the terrible things that ever happened, we could heal and move on. But I couldn't, I couldn't leave the only family I had left, I needed them to get through this.

Wanda noticed that I was ready to go and went to get the boys. I said my goodbyes and thanked people for coming as everyone began to make their way to the cars. I put Harriet in her car seat and went back to make sure we had left nothing behind. Most people had left or were in the process of leaving which meant her grave was left alone. I took a moment to just look at it. I bent down and adjusted some of the flowers before running my fingers over the smooth stone. It was cold to the touch but somehow it was nice, My fingers traced her name slowly.

"Y/n?" Clint was standing behind me. His hand touched my shoulder and I jumped at his touch. He didn't rush me, but helped me to leave. I didn't want to leave, if I left it meant that it truly was the end and that she truly was gone.

Eventually I got in the car and Wanda squeezed my hand. I sat in the middle, Harriet and Wanda on either side of me. There were two seats in the front where Steve and Bucky sat and Sam sat behind us in the pull down seat in the boot. The ride to the hotel was in silence as Harriet had fallen asleep. The air hung heavy and unusually still. Things had changed... forever.

*

We took the opportunity to rest over the following days. I wanted to stay in Ohio long enough to return to the grave before we left. I wanted to make sure that there were no dead flowers or mess left around her memorial.