Pt 4 Chapter 27 - The winning game

Y/n's POV

We tried our luck with sun bathing outside but by mid afternoon the sun had gotten too much. Steve's back was red and Nat had already put cream on twice. I couldn't help but laugh when he had to sit an inch away from the backs of all the chairs in an attempt not to worsen the pain. For a super soldier he seemed rather defenseless against the suffering caused by the sun.

As I had seen so many times before, Natasha did not tan, and nor did she burn. I was rather surprised that my red haired wife and her pale complexion seemed invisible to the sun, not a burn in sight and only the slightest on tan lines that were barely visible. Try as she might, that woman just seemed to reflect the sun. We kept Harriet heavily sun creamed in an attempt to protect her delicate skin. But it was hard when she splashed in her paddling pool or tipped her drink over her. She was quickly approaching a year old and let me tell you she adored the sun.

Every time it was a sunny day she would waddle over the large windows and squeal at the bright light that cast over the compound.

"I think that's enough sun for today." Natasha sighed, scooping up the child as she stood gazing out the window by the kitchen. Pepper said that Morgan loved the sun just as much and was developing quite the nice tan.

"We must go and visit them soon!" Steve would remind us. But Natasha and I were so caught up in living with our daughter and enjoying the summer together that a trip to the Stark house was not the first thing that came to mind.

Steve sat reading a book, awkwardly lent forward in his seat, his back glowing red. He looked slightly miserable and rather hot. We had the air conditioning on but that wasn't enough to tackle the scorching sun. Natasha fetched Harriet and I an ice lolly whilst I changed her nappy. We were lucky really, Harriet was ever so well behaved. She was cheeky but not in a naughty way, but in a giggly way that made you fall even more in love with her. She had character and that was perfect. Her spirits were always hi whether she was trying her hardest to chatter back to us or if she were learning a new skill. I had never seen such determination in such a tiny body before.

"Here you go!" Natasha handed her the lolly just as I finished with her nappy. Her tiny little fingers grasped the lolly and her face lit up. Haz had the brightest smile that matched Nat's. When they smiled it lit up the whole room and instantly made me overjoyed. They were my girls and I loved them dearly.

"What shall we do this afternoon then?" I asked, realizing now that we were bored.

"See I want to go to the zoo but it's baking so I might just work on some reports." Natasha sighed, resting her head on her hand.

"But it's Saturday, it's supposed to be a day off."

"Yes, but I didn't do them on Thursday like I was supposed to because we went out for lunch."

"Never mind, we'll just relax." I took her hand and went to sit on the shaded balcony.

"I can't believe she's already nearly a year old, it's flown by!" Natasha explained, leaning on the railing.

"It's mental, and she's grown so much!"

"One minute she's barely crawling, now she's walking, soon we'll be having a conversation."

"I wonder what her first word will be?" I frowned. "She comes close to a few, like dog or no, or mummy."

"I bet it will be mama, it's easier to say."

"Yeah but we say mummy more don't we."

As we spoke Harriet looked from me, to Nat and then back to me. She began to squeak and squeal as if trying to join in the conversation.