Pt 3 Chapter 6 - Realisation

Y/n's POV

I was shaken awake by Steve just moments later. My eyes fluttered open just in time to see Bucky walking towards us. "Steve?" He muttered before he flaked away into dust, leaving his gun on the ground where he had stood. My eyes opened more to see what happened.

"Am I dreaming?" I groaned, looking at Thor. He looked down at me and shook his head slowly. Steve rushed over to the dust on the floor. He took a knee beside it, looking at Thor helplessly. Thor looked at him with sad eyes. All around us I heard different people yelling, or calling for someone. Wanda had moved to Vision's lifeless body. Her back was too me but I could imagine her face. I saw a few flakes come from her body. "Wanda! No!" I yelled through tears as I watched her flake away.

"Sam!" I heard Rhodey call. "Sam, where you at?"

Bruce was released from the wall and ran over to free Nat. I just stayed where I was, too weak to stand. She ran over to where Steve was crouched. He had moved to turn over Vision's body. He looked down at the hole in his head and sighed. Nat looked up from the body and her face turned from sadness to worry as she saw me. I looked around at Nat, Steve, Bruce, Rhodey, Thor and Rocket; tears still flowing down my face.

"What is this? What the hell is happening?" Rhodey asked. Steve had sat on the floor beside Vision trying to get his breath back. No one said anything as we stared at our lifeless friend. Nat was holding her stomach, I assumed from where the rocks had crushed her.

"Oh, God." Steve mumbled.

"What?" I groaned, looking at him. He didn't answer but just stared at me. I dropped my head to look at the floor, letting my tears drop to the ground. Nat came over slowly, her face pale. She was still clutching her side as she sat beside me.

"It's done. I can't believe he's done it." She sighed, taking hold of my hand.

"So does that mean half the universe is just... gone?" I mumbled and she nodded. "Well, at least some of us still made it."

"Who have we lost anyways?" Rhodey asked, looking around. Okoye came from the trees, looking at us all with a tired expression.

"T'Challa has gone. Did he... did he do it?" She asked, looking quite worried. Steve slowly nodded and got up from the ground.

"Sam, Groot, Bucky and Wanda dusted away as well." I sighed, trying to sit up more. Steve came over, holding out his hand to help me off the floor. I heaved myself up and Steve wrapped my arm around his shoulders to support my weight.

"This is... well the end I suppose." Rhodey sighed.

"No it's not." Nat whispered. I smiled at her, knowing she wouldn't stop trying to get everyone back, and nor would I.

We spent another hour or two in Wakanda helping to clean up before Okoye told us to go home and tend to our wounds. As soon as we entered the building Pepper was waiting in the entrance hall. She rushed over, her face red from crying.

"Have you... Have you heard from Tony?" She breathed and we all shook our head. Her face dropped as Rhodey pulled her into a hug.

"We'll get him back Pep." I told her. She looked up from Rhodey's shoulder and smiled softly at me. She looked us all over and frowned.

"I'm sorry, you guys need to get cleaned up. I'm sorry." She sniffed.

"Don't be. Things have gone pretty terribly, you have every right to be worried." Nat told her softly. Several agents came over throwing questions at Cap and Rhodey.

"We have Secretary Ross on the phone." One of them pushed a phone towards Steve.

"You'll have to just wait. We have to get these guys to medical." He sort of yelled, pushing through the people and leading us up the stairs to the med bays.

"Pity Ross couldn't have disappeared." I rolled my eyes and Nat let out a small laugh. The corridors were a mess of bodies, many people on the phone, some crying and there were lots of random items just dropped on the floor. Dust covered the floor in several areas where people had flaked away but we had to just walk over it.

The more I walked, the weaker my legs got and Nat was still clutching her side. Eventually we got to the med bay that connected to the smaller living room in the compound and Steve helped me onto the bed. I groaned in pain as my back touched the cold bed. Nat sat on the chair next to mine and everyone stood around the bed. Steve had a cut on his face, and a bruise coming over his eye and forehead. Rhodey had a bloody lip and Bruce's cheek bone was bruised. They all had cuts and other bruises over their bodies but me and Nat had been hit the hardest as we had no super strength or metal suit.

"Hold still Y/n." Bruce said softly as he lent me forward.

"Fuck that hurts!" I sighed, leaning forward so he could look at my back. He pulled over my leather jacket and I unzipped my suit. He pulled it off my shoulder slowly, low enough to examine my back. Steve was looking at Nat's stomach which was brushed and scratched. Rhodes was also next to me trying to wipe the blood off the cut on my arm where the creature had ripped through my suit.

"That looks nasty Y/n." Nat frowned.

"I can see where the stone was, got a deep bruise and a few scratches right on your spine. You're extremely lucky you didn't do some serious damage." Bruce sighed. He began to wipe it with an antibacterial wipe causing me to flinch. "Sorry!" He said hurriedly.

Nat took a deep breath and got back onto her feet. "Best get to work on explaining all this to Ross. Steve, shall we go talk to him?" She looked at Steve sadly. Steve was staring out of the window, thinking.

"Huh? Oh yes." He turned with tears in his eyes. I knew he would be struggling, he had just lost his two best friends. Steve, Nat and Rhodey left the room to go and explain what in the hell just happened.

I laid back on the bed, resting my head back on the pillows. "Thanks Bruce." I smiled at him.

"Oh, no problem. You did a great job today." He smiled back. He gave me a shot of morphine to ease the pain and then turned to leave. "Get some rest. That back won't heal it's self."

"Mmm." I mumbled as my eyes closed. The medication quickly kicked in and the pain faded a little, within a few minutes I had fallen asleep. 

Nat's POV

We went off to the meeting room to call Ross. My heart pounded as the phone rang and a hologram image of Ross appeared in front of us. My stomach was still throbbing but the shot of morphine that Bruce had given me was kicking in. "I hope you have a good explanation for this Captain!" He shouted. There were muffled and worried voices in the background on his call.

"Thanos. To cut a very complicated story short. A titan from Space acquired a great deal of power and despite the best attempts of us and the warriors of Wakanda his army was too strong. He won, he clicked and his wish was for half of the universe to be wiped out. End of. As of now we have no answer as to how to get them back, or if that's even possible." Rhodey told him quite plainly, his arms crossed.

"Well that's not good enough. You went on this mission of yours without permission, and without our help. And look what happened. It blew up in your face, or should I say it dissolved in your face. Where is this Thanos now? Can we not reverse the... the... the blip?" Ross asked, his eyebrows furrowed.

"I'm afraid not sir. He used the infinity stones to disappear. We have no idea as to where. And if you understood the power he has, the power of the stones you would understand-" I began but he interrupted me.

"Well Miss Romanoff. I beg, do enlighten me of the power of these stones. This is... funny enough the first time I have heard of them."

"To break it down. 6 stones from space, combined they make up a great deal of power. It has the ability to pretty much do anything, even cause the blip." Steve told him calmly.

"Well. I... erm. I suppose I best go and sort out your mess." Ross declared.

"Our mess? If it wasn't for your stupid accords we could have already been working on solv-" I yelled at the man but he hung up the call.

"What a twat!" I yelled, running my hands through my hair. Steve pulled me into a hug to calm me and tears fell down my face. He stroked my head, careful not to touch my stomach.

"We'll find him eventually. We'll fix this." Steve sighed. I looked up at him with hope, I really did hope he was right.