Pt 2 Chapter 12 - An end to a good time

Nat's POV

A few days passed and we travelled with the boys to the next town staying for a night before moving on once again. With the money we had we made sure that they ate some proper meals and got some supplies they needed. It was hard for them, I could see that. We were moving closer to England, they were hoping it would be easier to relax. The original trials and holding of Bucky took place in Berlin so Germany was a slightly risky place for them, it was just hard to travel with no form of transport. We were getting take away about a week after we had joined the boys and it was quite nice. Almost like old times as we laughed over a few bottles of beer. "Never really saw you as the beard type." Y/n laughed at Steve who clearly hadn't shaved in quite some time.

"Makes a better disguise." He told her with a smug grin. "Didn't stop you though so maybe it's not that good." He added when I gave him a doubtful look. Sam rolled his eyes at our antics. Y/n was sitting on my lap and I had an arm wrapped around her waist.

"This is still so weird to me." Sam said looking at us. Y/n shrugged her shoulders. We didn't really care what people thought, if they didn't like it they could leave. I knew Sam and Cap were fine with it, they just weren't used to it which was understandable. We began to talk about our next plans.

"You guys don't have to stick around, living it on the low. We will be fine." Steve told us with a sad smile. I shook my head and looked at him caringly. "No Rogers, we're still a team. We will stick together for a while." I told him. I thought for a moment, would there be any possible way to lift their sentence.

"I know that look Romanoff." Steve smirked at me. I snapped out my thoughts and raised an eyebrow playfully in surprise.

Y/n's POV

I knew what Nat was thinking, I was thinking about it too. But the thought faded for a while as we got back to laughing. It was nice as me and Sam listened to the other two talking about what it was like when the Avengers first started. They told me about Loki and the battle of New York. "Banner ended up wrecking like four buildings and a few roads with his smashes." Steve joked.

Nat sort of frowned. "You know it's not Banner, the big guy has pretty much all the control when he goes green."

"Good job you can calm him then. And do you remember Tony calling Clint Legolas. See I understand that reference. Me and Bucky read the Hobbit when it came out. We had a competition to see who could read it first and he won so he got a chocolate bar." Steve's face lit up when he started talking about his old friend. It was sweet how much of an old man he sounded, I felt like his granddaughter listening tentatively as he told all his "when I was a boy" stories. But in truth we were pretty similar in age if you minus the years in the ice. The world war two soldier was sharing drinks with me in a German hotel, who would have thought. I giggled at myself, not realising I had done it aloud. My thoughts had gone to a video Tony had shown me from back in the original Captain America days.

"What?" Nat asked, confused by my outburst. "I just remember a little something I saw a while back." I said, looking at Steve with a flare of mischief in my eyes.

"Care to share it?" Sam asked. I nodded and rose from Nat's lap. She looked at me as I stood proudly in front of my friends. I began singing and talking in a slightly different voice.

"Who's strong and brave, here to save the American way?"

"Not all of us can storm a beach, or drive a tank but there's still a way that all of us can fight!"

"Who vows to fight like a man for what's right night and day?"

"Series E defense bonds, each one you buy is a bullet in the barrel of your best guy's gun."

"Who will campaign door-to-door for America? Carry the flag shore to shore for America From Hoboken to Spokane. The Star Spangled Man with a Plan!" I finished my little scene and smiled evilly as Steve watched me, his jaw to the floor. I proudly took a bow and returned to my seat on Natasha's lap.

"How in the hell did you know that?" Steve asked, sort of laughing.

"That being what exactly?" Nat interrupted. Sam was laughing with a confused expression."That would be the Star spangled man song accompanied with a speech said by Steve in his OG Cap days. Tony showed it to me, I just so happened to rewatch it until I retained every word." I looked at the man and he shook his head in defeat.

"You are a troublemaker, you know that L/n." Sam was still laughing, even harder now. "That's amazing!" He clapped his hands before hitting Steve on the shoulder.

"Gosh Steve, we might just need a recreation if you ever get the suit back.""Over my dead body." Cap replied, scouring at his mate. Nat was watching with a big grin, taking mouthfuls from her beer bottle. We split up as it got late and the boys returned to their room down the corridor. Nat was in the shower and her phone rang. It was Fury. I tried to shout for her but she didn't hear me. I decided to answer and at least tell him to call back in 10. I picked up the phone and the man spoke imediently.

"You thought you were sneaky didn't you Agent Romanoff. You know SHIELD has eyes and ears everywhere. We know what you are doing, you realise-" His voice was raised, he was angry.

"Um Fury. It's me. Nat's in the shower."

"Well I'll tell you instead. Are you demented? Part of your pardoning was to, I don't know, behave. Running around Germany with two fugitives isn't what I call behaving. Breaking into SHIELD data, hacking. Last time I checked I don't think that's a good way to keep on the good side of the government."

"Well if I may." I tried to reason with him.

"No you may not."

"In our defense we thought it was a good idea!" I was getting impatient with his yelling now.

"Well it's actually a stupid ass decision! So I suggest you pack up your things, say your goodbyes. There will be a quinjet picking you both up tomorrow. We pretend this never happened and no one gets thrown in prison."

"Nick! But we-" I didn't get to finish as he hung up the phone. "For fucks sake!" I yelled. The water from the shower stopped running and a few moments later Nat emerged from the bathroom.

"What's wrong?" She looked at me with worried eyes. I was pacing.

"Bloody Fury's onto us. They're sending a jet to pick us up tomorrow."

"Fuck." She sighed.

"That's what I said." I slumped down on the bed, my head in my hands. She took a seat next to me, her towel still around her wet body.

"What if we don't go." She frowned. I didn't look up as I fought back angry tears. I shrugged my shoulders. She placed a hand on my knee. "Whatever you want." She said.

"No. Whatever you want, I'll do whatever you want."

"Whatever I want?" I looked up at her, she was smirking at me. I narrowed my eyes on her face.

"Not now Romanoff. I'm being serious." I told her, breaking my gaze to look at the floor.

"Me too. But I..." She thought for a moment. "I want to stay." I nodded and handed her her phone. She called Fury back.

"Don't bother Nick... They aren't criminals!" I couldn't really hear what Fury was saying but it obviously wasn't good. "Fine then arrest me, you'll know what to find me I suppose... I do care Nick! But it's my family... Yes you are! That's not fair! ... Whatever, call me if the world goes to shit and we'll be there." She put down the phone and I could see the tears in her eyes.

"Guess we're criminals now." She sighed.

"Oh well, you will look sexy in a pair of handcuffs." I joked, she pushed me down on the bed. "Wouldn't you like to know." She smirked before placing a kiss on my lips. As she leaned down, the towel fell and I smiled. What had we gotten ourselves into?