Pt 4 Chapter 19 - Christmas Eve

Y/n's POV

Snow had covered the city, a blanket of white that sparkled in the winter sun. It was christmas eve and I was buzzing. Mostly we had the presents wrapped and mailed or placed beneath the tree. Bruce was coming home today to spend Christmas with us and then we were all going to see Tony on boxing day.

When I woke at the sound of the birds I realised Natasha was not in bed. Her christmas pajamas were folded neatly beside me on her pillow and there was no sound of running water to suggest she was in the shower. I sat up with a yawn, taking in my surroundings. I rubbed my eyes and slid out of bed. My tired legs carried me to Harriet's room. My daughter woke at the sound of the door opening. I smiled at her and she let out a light giggle.

"Morning princess." I kissed her forehead before scooping her into my arms. "You slept well last night. Although it was late."

I took her to the bathroom to give her a quick bath before getting her changed into her little christmas onesie. She wasn't the biggest fan of having her hair washed but as she was growing her red locks were getting longer.

I ran her a shallow bath and put her in, she wriggled a little but soon relaxed and let me wash her. I picked her up again in a fluffy, warm towel and rubbed her dry. She laughed as I did so which made my heart fill with joy. I bounced my way back to her bedroom to get her hair done and clothes on. I glanced down the corridor but didn't hear or see anyone. We went into Haz's room and I slipped her into her clothes for the day. My eyes studied her adorable face and I decided to put the little auburn curls into tiny bunches. To keep her calm and keep her still I hummed a lullaby. It didn't take too long to wrestle her wispy hairs into pigtails and make sure she looked perfect.

"You're so pretty." I told her.

We made our way to the kitchen, past the glowing Christmas tree and stack of presents. I looked around and once again saw no one. I turned around and caught a glimpse out of the door to the balcony. Natasha and Steve were standing looking out across the compound. I paused for a moment, wondering if I could interrupt the precious moment but I had little time to ponder as they returned inside.

"Conditions seem perfect for Santa." Steve smiled at Harriet.

"She can't understand you." Nat rolled her eyes. Steve pushed her.

"Don't tell me you don't believe in Father Christmas Romanoff?" I opened my mouth in shock.

"Stop goofing around. We have a Christmas cake to decorate and cookies to bake. Steve, you said you'd help prepare for Christmas dinner." Nat marched past us, winking at our daughter as she went.

I passed Harriet to Steve who gladly took her. Natasha got out the Christmas cake which had been maturing over the past weeks. It was my father's home made recipe with a tiny alteration that Wanda had advised. Nat got out the marzipan ready to roll it. I laid it out on the counter and pushed down on it with the roll. Eventually I flattered it out enough to begin rolling. I felt a tickle on my neck and then Nat's hands holding mine. She stood behind me and followed my hand movements, pushing down and making it easier for me to roll out the icing. I felt my cheeks flush as she kissed the back of my neck.

"We have company." I mumbled. But that didn't stop her. "Grab the decorations please." I turned to her with a smile. She huffed and went to find them. Steve swapped the rolling pin for Harriet and used his strength to get the job done much quicker.

"Thanks."

Once the marzipan was ready we lowered it onto the cake and I smoothed it out. Wanda had taught me a lot in the few years we had together at the compound. Once the marzipan was on I let Natasha and Steve decorate it whilst I moved onto the cookies. I was going to make shortbread biscuits and cover them with icing.

We had brought a mixer so it was much easier now to make things, I threw together the ingredients quite quickly. Steve rolled it out for me again and I used the cookie cutters that Nat had chosen to make the biscuits. Once they were ready we put it in the oven and made a start on brunch.

Steve microwaved some croissants and made hot chocolate whilst Natasha fed Harriet.

"I almost forgot! Friday please may you put on some Christmas music."

The sweet tunes of Christmas songs rang through the speakers as I looked out at the snow outside. New York was always gorgeous around christmas even if it was bitterly cold.

Whilst the biscuits baked we all sat around the table to enjoy the food. We sang along to the songs and laughed and enjoyed it. Harriet clapped her hands as Natasha sang to her.

The oven pinged after a while and I went to fetch the shortbread.

Natasha mixed up the icing and left Haz being occupied but Steve's bouncing knee. WE had a selection of green, red, brown, white and yellow. After a struggle to get in in the piping bag and not all over each other we were ready to decorate. Natasha was on Christmas tree duty and I was tackling the Santa hat's.

"Bollocks." I mumbled as I made my line wonky.

"That can be our taster one." Nat reassured me. Her's looked perfect, of course. She was a shooter after all, steady hands.

Steve carried Harriet over who tried to get her fingers in the bowl. Steve scooped her off a little with a spoon and let her try her first bit of icing. The child's face lit up as the sugar hit her tongue. Our faces lit up too as she let out a wonderful laugh.

"We have ourselves a sweet tooth." Nat nudged me.

"Like mother, like daughter."

After nearly half an hour we finished off the cookies and sat down to enjoy a Christmas film. The day passed on pretty quietly as we just enjoyed our time together. We had a quick dinner before Steve headed off to bed for an early night. He was still a big kid at heart, going to bed earlier so that Christmas would come sooner. Natasha and I put Harriet to bed, both taking the time to enjoy our first christmas eve as a family.

"Good night my sweet girl." Natasha kissed her.

"Sleep well princess." I smiled. We waited until she closed her eyes before sneaking out of the door. Natasha did double checks on all of the presents and food. When I returned from the bathroom I watched her from the doorway. She was resting against the counter, coffee in hand. Her warm jumper came almost to her knees and she had taken her hair out of the plaits it was in. It fell down beside her face in waves. She looked up and our gaze locked. Slowly I walked towards her and she pulled me into a hug. "Have yourself a merry little christmas" echoed through the room. It's a soft tune causing us to sway and gradually dance. Her arms embraced me and she smiled at me. My stomach felt all jumpy, she made me nervous just as she had done when our relationship first started. The song was slow, as was our step. Her embrace was so comforting that I never wanted to leave it. In fact I never wanted to leave that moment, the dancing, the song, all of it was just perfect. It was a memory I would cherish forever. Her hand slipped into mine as the song drew to an end and she led me off towards our bedroom.

"Y/n."

"Yes?"

"Thank you."

"For?"

"For everything." She muttered and clambered into bed. I shook my head, looking down at how gorgeous she was and snuggled in beside her. Tomorrow would be a good day. 

------------------------------------------
I accidently didn't publish it a few chapters back so there's one you might have missed - ch16
Sorry <3